Out of none, Manny: Harris at center of UM Sunday debacle

Posted: March 8, 2010 by Jared Field in College

Look at the box score of Sunday’s embarrassing 64-48 loss on the road to Michigan State. Michigan’s leading scorer — ostensibly its best player —  was virtually nonexistent. Harris, a junior, scored four points on 1-for-10 shooting with four assists and three turnovers. Oh, and in case you need them: ZERO REBOUNDS in 33 minutes. (I guess Dylan at UMhoops.com had a similar response to the rebounding stat.)

How is that even possible? How can you play for that long and not accidently get a rebound? (What’s that you say? Taking plays off and being lazy on the defensive end? Oh. Well that makes perfect sense. Nevermind.)

Harris (and I hate to pick on him because everyone was awful) embodied all that’s wrong with Michigan basketball yesterday. Basketball in Ann Arbor is careless, insufferably boring and, worst of all, bereft of hope for the future. I trust that UM fans enjoyed the NCAA tournament last season, because I don’t expect the Magic Bus to be pointed in that direction anytime soon. Belein’s system, in case you didn’t notice, isn’t working in the Big 10 and he’s not recruiting talented enough players to keep me interested in any future returns.

You can’t score 14 points in a half against Michigan State, regardless of how good they are. You just can’t do it. And what is Michigan left with for next season? Just the hope that Manny Harris doesn’t leave early for the D-League.

About these ads
Comments

I also failed to mention that big blue was 19 percent was 3-point range. You just have to love a system built around perimeter shooting without ONE SINGLE PERIMETER SHOOTER!

2. Gavin Raath says:

On the other end, Kalin Lucas, a dead horse at this point, was also far from impressive. Played pretty much the whole game despite it being a blow-out by half, just so he could get to double figures in scoring. It was more than annoying. He had better return for another year.

Another thing to note was the demeanor of certain players congratulating the seniors when they were pulled. When Dahlman came off, Derrick Nix seemed disinterested in congratulating his teammate, meanwhile Draymond Green, standing next to Nix, hugged and picked-up Dahlman. Nix is a kid that I will never be able to get behind, but Draymond Green is the man.

Saw Draymond over the weekend to support his high school teammate Bobby Lewis at Mott too. He seemed cool to everyone around him and didn’t do any big timing. I hope he takes fitness seriously over the summer so he can big time next year — he’s so close as it is.

Are not Lucas and Harris supposed to be the best college players in the state? What an embarrassment that was.

Combined: 3-for-18, 14 points, 7 assists, 3 rebounds and 5 turnovers

Nice.

Oh, and Michigan from 3-point range: 19%

3. Murph says:

What happened to Demetrius Miller in the Mott-Henry Fod game?

4. Gavin Raath says:

What happened to Mott’s entire starting line-up?

5. Murph says:

Oh I was just wondering because Miller’s 1-8 fg game hasn’t been brought up. But, he’s D1 anyway so it doesn’t matter.

6. Gavin Raath says:

Yeah, it was just a really poor performance by Miller. He’s been really good all season, earning the starting poing guard job for the premeire program in the country, which will likely land him on a division one school’s roster, but he definitely looked rough on Friday.

7. Murph says:

How’s it the premier program in the country? Because they won back to back two years ago. They don’t have the most talent in the country.

He might start but he doesn’t finish.

8. Murph says:

Didn’t realize D2 was superior to D1. So if Grand Valley State won 25+ games 15 years in a row would they be superior to Michigan State or N. Carolina?

Who said anything about Michigan State or North Carolina? How old are you, Murph? 10?

• PJR says:

Some D2’s are superior to D1. Think SVSU of the GLIAC has a couple fellas that would rathe play there than at the lower echelon D1s. Also, using GVSU and MSU as comparison benchmark is maybe not a good example, given GVSU beat MSU last year and almost beat GVSU the year before that. Izzo wisely changed to playing Northwood.

• There is certainly less distance between JC D1 and D2 vs. NCAA D1-D2.

• PJR says:

Marcellus, last year I posted some figures from an email I got from a guy who scouts JuCos, and keeps track of only the JuCo players who move on to D1’s from JuCo D1/D2/D3 programs. Don’t recall exact numbers but the D1 JuCo’s place about 300 or so, about 1 per team, the D2’s place about 80 or so, about 1 per 2 or 3 teams, and the D3’s place about 20, and I don’t recall how many JuCo’s are D3 nationwide. But overall given the 333 or so 4 year NCAA D1s, JuCo’s have over 1 JuCo player per team per year, and thus that’s 4 on a typical 12 man scholarship roster, or about 33%. That’s just D1, and obviously more guys go D2/NAIA/D3/Other. I’ve heard some MCCAA coaching say that in the MCAA approximately 80-90% of the JuCo fellas who do their academic work move on to play 4 year at some level. It’s pretty impressive really! Don’t know if I have that email data anymore. Should probably write that guy for an update. JuCo’s do pretty well!

9. Murph says:

Ok. Mott is the premier Division 2 program in the country that hasn’t made it out of the regional the last two years. I got it know.

10. Murph says:

Ok then they are not the premier juco in the country.

Thanks for clearing that up.

• PJR says:

Gotta say Mott’s probably in contention for the premier JuCo program in the country. This year wasn’t up to past years, but as a body of work it’d be pretty hard to find any as good or better.

• PJR says:

Another note is that the MCCAA league is so strong now, with such parity, that it’s really hard to repeat, really hard. Mott’s good program, and Henry Ford deserves some real kudos for taking local guys, mostly former Mega guys, and putting together a tough program, same for Saint Clair, Oakland, Lansing, Glen Oaks and Grand Rapids frankly! It’s a nice compliment to the State as a whole, because it’s mostly Michigan talent feeding all these highly competitive teams!

Murph: It’s hard to have a conversation with you on this subject because you know very little about JUCO basketball.

I’ve asked you to find a JUCO with a better track record. I’m still waiting.

11. Murph says:

Ok the last two years they haven’t made it out of Michigan as far as the pkayoffs are concerned. I respect opinions but the opinions on this board are not facts.

12. Murph says:

I did not mean to get you panties bunched up Jared. Let’s get back to something more comfortable for you like ripping on Kalin Lucas and Manny Harris.

13. Gavin Raath says:

I sensed what you were getting at Murph with those earlier comments, but I responded as if your intentions were pure — should have trusted my initial instinct. The whole passive-aggressive thing, huh? Just save yourself the trouble and reveal your agenda right away.

By the way, how many division 1 JCs are there in Michigan? One, Kirtland; and guess what, they get smacked around by division twos.

Basically, if you want to play JC ball in Michigan, then you are going to have to play at the division two level. And the biggest difference that I know of is that one provides housing, while the other cannot. Big deal, Murph. So who is your horse in this race?

There is so much that you are ignorant of when it comes to the gravity of JC ball and the reputation of Mott that this conversation isn’t worth having. The last two years have been down years for Mott, yet for any other coach in the state, those two years would have been career season highs.

• PJR says:

Gavin, actually I’m not so sure these count as “down years” for Mott, at least talent wise and team capability wise, as much as they are “up years” for many other MCCAA programs. There seems to be a little more talent in other teams that is comparable to Mott, and thus far better parity in the MCCAA. Things like Schoolcraft’s demise, the economy, more JuCo reporting and thus hoopster interest, and in fact things like last year’s HFCC run by a bunch of local fellas, with it’s impacts per this year’s player participation, really brought a lot more talent out. In previous years you probably didn’t have such parity. Now you do! That’s a good thing! It’s appropriate that Michigan’s MCCAA finally gets two into the nationals given how Eastern Conference and Western Conference large the league is, and how good the teams are in each conference. I think this year Mott, HFCC, SC4, GRCC, Oakland CC, Lansing CC, KVCC, and maybe even a couple others early where all nationally ranked. That’s pretty amazing stuff really, not seen in other parts of the nation! Mott seems to have had a typically good recruiting year, and while they are a lot freshman young, they are still a very talented team on a national scale. But now so are a few others in the MCCAA. So maybe not a down year for Mott as much as an up year for a lot more area JuCos!

14. HoopsFan says:

I think Gavin just said it best with his last statement.

“The last two years have been down years for Mott, yet for any other coach in the state, those two years would have been career season highs.”

That type of statement is defining of a premier program.

I would contend that at any level JuCo, NAIA D1-2, NCAA D1-3, if any program continues to have those numbers of wins and championships….not national only but different state and conference championships that program is a premier program. Being premier doesnt mean that every year they are national champions.

Look at North Carolina this year….they stink….chances are next year they will be better but probably still not that great…..Does a couple of down years all the sudden turn them to a mid major D-1??? No that is crazy…..Murph get a clue buddy!!

15. Just wondering if anyone is going to comment on Manny’s 26 point, 6 rebound, 4 assist performance today versus #5 OSU. If it weren’t for a prayer at the buzzer by Evan Turner, it would have been enough for the “W”. I’m just wondering…

It was an unreal second half performance by Manny. Turner didn’t have a good game but got the last laugh. I was shocked that Belein just let the national POY get the ball in stride.

And remember, I’m not a Manny basher. I’m full-time on Kalin Lucas. 18 points on 17 shots, four assists and four turnovers. 1-4 from the line in overtime and an ‘L.’

• Marcellus Miller says:

LOL! Yeah Kalin had a rough OT, but what happened to Summers and Roe? Man, I believe Tubby Smith and Thad Matta outcoached Beilein and Izzo by far yesterday.

I don’t know man. Izzo played Kebler a lot of minutes. He’s not a division one basketball player. Loved him in high school, but come on.

• Marcellus Miller says:

Exactly…that’s just crazy. He had NO impact at all the whole time I saw him in the 2nd half and OT.

16. Williford says:

I think he did an amazing job for his team. He came through and stepped up when they needed him. He outplayed Turner, in my book. I don’t care about a game winning shot, Turner was outplayed by Manny Harris. End of story.

17. Marcellus Miller says:

Let me also say that Beilein made a TERRIBLE coaching decision at the end of the game. It gets NO worse than that!