Flint C-A downs Northwestern by 13

Posted: February 1, 2011 by Jared Field in Big Nine, Citybeat, High School
Tags: , , ,

FLINT, Michigan — With the crowd, the officials and school administrators in a hurry to get this game in the books, it appeared Northwestern was more interested in watching the Weather Channel from home on Tuesday night. The Wildcats played uninspired basketball for four quarter, losing at home 65-52 to Carman-Ainsworth.

The Wildcats led after the first quarter and basically sleepwalked their way through the rest of the game, trailing by as many as 16 after a fourth-quarter technical on head coach David Bush.

The bulk of the scoring for the Cavaliers came by way of Denzel Watts and Anton Wilson. Watts is really impressive. I have to remind myself that I’m not watching Glenn Cosey anymore. This kid is only a sophomore.

Northwestern was led by seniors Syro McDonald and Jaylen Magee. I don’t have any official stats because I wanted to get in out of the storm as soon as possible, but both were in the teens.

I mentioned the officials earlier, and I guess I can’t blame them for being in a hurry. There was one play in particular in which Wilson was so far out of bounds with the ball that he actually stopped on a fastbreak … the only problem was that no whistle was blown. It was one of the most peculiar things I’ve seen.

— By Jared Field | Great Lakes Hoops

About these ads
Comments
  1. gregjohnson says:

Who were the officials?
    In my opinion Syro has picked up his game big time this year and Magee has taken a step backwards. Magee seems to just go through the motions at times.

• SC Fan says:

How can Northwestern be 6-7? What’s wrong with that team?

• Ben Brady says:

Well, they have lost 2 of their players before and during this season. The 1st player that they have lost, Willis Arrington, was shot and killed after he attempted to rob someone at their house. The man saw him and 3 or 4 other guys run and the man still shot at them. Willis was hit and died. The others came out alive. Nobody was able to take anything from the man’s house because he showed up with the gun. The 2nd was Dominez Burnett, who was arrested during the season. He is currently not in jail but is taking care of the issues with his arrest. But, he was falsely accused of something. A lady accused him of robbing her of her money. This isn’t true though. She described Burnett to the police of his smile, not his height. His smile doesn’t stand out. It’s just a plain smile. What stands out is his height. And Dominez may be young, but he is smart. He just wants to play, not hold guns. In fact, all of these years that I’ve known him, I don’t think he’s ever touched a gun….

• lmao says:

I think the lost of Burnett really hurt them as a team.

• Ben Brady says:

I don’t remember the officials’ names but I do remember their faces. They cost me my very own basketball game this season in high school. I plan to see them again, get their names and get them out of our High School Athletics system around MHSAA. They’re both ridiculous as referees……….that didn’t make any sense.

2. Spencer Trealout says:

Is it really the “team” that’s the problem?

3. Coach says:

Northwestern is always bad during the season until the tourney comes their pretty much Like State

4. SO WHAT says:

naw northwestern needs to focus on the people that they have now,not the people that they’ve lost.when kalin lucas was hurt in the tournament last year korie lucious stepped up and msu still went to the final four.Duke superstar freshman point guard kyle irving is hurt and now that other kid dawkins stepped up and there still having a good season.If you lose a good player then you still have to coach the players that you currently have.Maybe one of them is really a superstar who hasn’t been givin a chance, You can’t let loss of players distract u if you want to win a championship.Coach the current players that u have now and try and turn THEM into superstars

5. SO WHAT says:

o and a few years ago northwestern lossed upchurch and still had a superb season and beat a very good saginaw arthur hill team and almost beat a good clarkston team.

6. I can tell you that is not the story I got from the police regarding Burnett. I choose not to divulge details because I believe the process will play itself out and I don’t want to try a kid in the media. But, it was a totally different accounting of the story. For what it is worth, I hope he is found blameless…

I agree. I hope he’s innocent. I do, however, have a problem with how many young people display remarkable diffidence when it comes to violent crime these days.

It seems that among many, violent crime is little different than childhood mischief.

It seems to me that every young person that’s accused of the crime is either A.) innocent or B.) not deserving of punishment once found guilty. Guys, that’s part of the problem.

• I know I was there says:

@Marcellus, sorry to inform you the police you are talking to are not telling you the truth. You are right its a STORY. We defend our own. Ben Brady is close to the truth and I know. You cannot divulge details, I can. He will be found blameless.

• MLS says:

Dominez was accused of something he didnt do and if the police would have done there job and investagated what really happen MY SON wouldnt be in this situation.So i ask you Mr.Miller to ask the police you talked to WHAT investgation was done from OCT to DEC ..I can tell you that what Ben Brady is sayin is VERY close to the truth.Dominez has lost his 12th grade year and some possible scholarships..SOMEBODY IS GOING TO PAY FOR HIS COLLEGE AND IT WONT BE THE FAMILY..

Again, I hope that what you say is true. I hope he does get cleared of all wrongdoing here.

For now, I think it’s for the best if we just close this post to comments. I don’t want him tried online before he’s tried in court.