Lack of poise under pressure kills Swartz Creek against rival Fenton

Posted: February 19, 2011 by Jared Field in High School, Metro League
Tags: , , , , ,

Senior Eric Mowery drives on sophomore James Richards in the first half Friday night.

In case you missed it, Fenton pulled out an amazing come-from-behind win last night over rival Swartz Creek.

The Tigers, down 24-4 in the second quarter thanks to some of the tightest team defense I’ve seen all season, still trailed by 15 at the half. Swartz Creek began to surrender their lead in the third quarter, but still had a cushion of seven points entering the fourth quarter.

After their primary ballhandler, sophomore Max Cummings, fouled out early in the fourth, I think it was clear to anyone who has seen Swartz Creek play this season that the game was probably over.

The Dragons’ guards succumbed to Fenton’s pressure, turning the ball over an astounding 22 times in the second half alone (more turnovers than points in the half).

Swartz Creek turned the ball over 34 times in the game, including 22 in the second half alone.

Senior Eric Mowery played a tremendous second half after a less-than-stellar first. He led the team from his point guard position, finding juniors Dylan and Ryan Hickoff on numerous outlets in transition.

It’s no surprise that Swartz Creek outrebounded Fenton by 14, but it’s also not surprising that they once-again lost the turnover battle — and by a huge margin.

Fenton also did a great job bottling up Creek’s top two scorers — seniors Logan Hull and Joe Seitz who scored 15 and three points, respectively.

Ryan Hickoff led all scorers with 18 points for Fenton, now the favorite to win the Flint Metro League.

— Jared Field | Great Lakes Hoops

About these ads
Comments
  1. RealHoopsFan says:

Man i just got to say see how unfair the inner city coaches get treated on this site. If that was Northwestern , SW, or Northern it would have been 50, post on how those coaches lost the game. I’m I the only one that sees this? I can’t be the only to see this. Well if i am I say to you all open your eyes and treat every fairly. But we know you want and that’s cool. Because we know it wasn’t the coaching.

Fenton has a better team than Swartz Creek, bottom line. The Dragons are overachievers — something you wouldn’t know anything about.

One more win to .500 — keep it up.

• SC Fan says:

Real Hoops Fan if you would have seen this game, you would realize that Coach Trent had his team as prepared and more prepared than any coach possibly could. Jared indicates SC maybe overachievers, but a lot of the over achieving is due to how their coach prepares them to play. Yes he is one of the best in the area and would do wonders at a City school or any other school. He raises the expecations immediately in the program. He doesn’t set the bar as being a good team, he sets the expectations that you will be a championship caliber team and his teams work to live up to those expectations. His teams do outwork their opponents. That doesn’t always equate to a win. The problem in this game for Swartz Creek was the inability to execute any offensive possession in the second half due to turnovers. Heck, I don’t know the numbers but Creek couldn’t even have taken that many shots in the 2nd half due to the inability to get any offensive rhythm going. That most definitely cannot be blamed on the coach. As an SC player’s parent, hats off to Fenton as they outplayed us over the course of this game. As an SC player’s parent, I wouldn’t want my kid coached by any other. He gets more out of his overall talent than any I have ever seen at a high school level. We are happy he’s with us in SC. Heck, I knew about this guy when his Bentley teams frequently found a way to knock off Flint Hamady. He has set a track record of winning with less athletic ability and talent. I wouldn’t try to make an issue on this game as being about the coach and reliving the posts on Flint basketball and the problems discussed in past threads.

2. RealHoopsFan says:

You guys are real funny, when your coaches lose its because they played a better team, but he prepared them. You guys have some of the most double standards of anybody. You cant possibly think that SC could beat a NW, SWA, or even NH. You guys are real funny I think it’s smashing coaches trying to make your guys look good. But no matter what you guys say all the coaches in genesee county need help. And for you guys not to see it means your just bias. You talked about not being able to run an offense that’s what coaches do, come up with a plan so they can’t run an offense. But you guys keep believing in those guys, becuase now i really believe that it is very personal not facts. You have a handle on what SC does but have you ever been to see what the inner city coaches are doing or what their going through, I know dont care. But the reason i comment is becuase I do, and for the record I want someone that looks like the student body to coach or kids. Someone who has been through the same struggles. Take it for whats worth and read it the way you want to read it. And post when those coaches make it, because trust me they are no better than the inner city. SC coach has been there for a least three years i think has he produced that key player, or for that matter has anyone in genesee county produced that player i just dont think so. So when you compare what really are you looking at. Who is your friend, that’s what your looking at. But if you are real with yourself none of the coaches and I mean none are doing an outstanding job.

RHF: Your comments are borderline incoherent. After reading them, I held out hope that you were still in high school. Since I know you’re not, it makes them all the more disappointing.

You totally obsess over race. Why? I mean, if Coach Schmidt looked more like his team, how many more wins would that translate to? I can think of 529 wins from a coach that doesn’t “look like” his players to serve as evidence that your theory is ridiculous.

There are numerous coaches doing an outstanding job in this community, and that’s based on a lot more than just wins and losses.

• SC Fan says:

Just for your knowledge. SC coach is in his second year. In two years one conference co-championship and battling right up to the final week in his second season. Not too shabby! We’ll take that anytime and I would bet that trend will continue on a yearly basis in SC. Your comment about whether he has produced that player (which he has in a very short time) even says more about his coaching ability as he has prepared his TEAM (not player) to win without that D-1 superstar you must be referring to. No D-1 players must be a result of his coaching ability. You are making your own case that he must be among the best as he wins with lesser talent, although arguably those key players you refer to have lead SC in the league each of the last two seasons with Cody Campbell and Logan Hull.

• gregjohnson says:

Does Nate Oats at Romulus look like his student body!? That school is facing all the same problems as Flint city schools, he deals with the same type of kids, environment, attitudes etc. You’re the one making excuses!

3. RealHoopsFan says:

Man please Jared, college is way different than the inner city, you can recruit what you want and what you choose not to take, thats the difference Mr. Bush has to take what is given to him. Put SC, Brand Blc, Bently, Atherton in the Sag. Valley and trust me they would be at the bottom league every year. It’s funny how you guys talk about getting the most out of talent when you guys have a hard time judging talent yourself. And for the comment you made about high school, I make about $150,000 yr, I dont have to be out of high school, can you say that. But i know you will say its not about money, but is say to you what did you go to college for.

Your comments are embarrassing to you, your staff and your school.

• muthguy1 says:

If you really make that kind of money, you should hire someone to proofread your posts for spelling, grammar and logic.

I’ll disagree with some that there is some merit to the idea the someone who “looks like the student body” being more likely to teach and communicate well. I’ll also say that this is totally about the person and there are some (I’ll grant, probably a smaller percentage) who “don’t look like the student body” that will be able to teach and communicate well with a group of kids and also some that “look like the student body” who don’t have the communication skills, etc. to do well.

We need to be careful about assumptions that people can or cannot do something well based on race.

Well said.

All things being equal, I agree that can be a prohibitive factor. But, as you say, it comes down to a great black coach teaching white kids or vice versa, I’ll bet on the great coach every time.

Austin Brinkman has done a great job at Saginaw BV, and I’m not sure there’s a white player on his roster.

• SBell says:

Romulus seems to be doing OK under Nate Oats.
        Holland West Ottawa had its best-ever teams under Von Washington.
        Sacred Heart made the (boys) state final under Keisha Brown.
        The state’s all-time greatest coach is Lofton Greene, who did it at River Rouge.
        Holland Christian won a football state championship under Willie Snead.
        Muskegon won football state championships under Tony Anesse.
        I could go on, but don’t have a week to give all the other obvious examples.

I forgot about MPSH. That’s the double whammy: Black woman teaching basketball to a bunch of white boys. How did they ever make it that far? They look nothing alike!

4. Chris Matheson says:

So much for Dr. King’s “content of character”, huh??? Saying that you your primary criterion for selecting a coach (primary is my language, you said “I want someone that looks like the student body . . .”) directly repudiates everything Dr. King and others worked for, sacrificed for, and died for.

Bottom line, Jeremy Trent IS a GREAT coach (there are other very good coaches in the area, too) by any objective or subjective standard. He has the respect and admiration of his peers, players, and parents and he gets results. The fact that he is very talented in no way detracts from the job you are doing unless you allow it to do so. I am making the assumption that you are/were a coach because this seems to be a sensitive area for you.

Finally, being a good coach is about so much more than producing that one standout player. In fact, some of our best coaches never produce a D-1 player (just a note, about 3% of ALL high school basketball players go on to play at any level after college) and some may never produce a college player–does this mean they are not good coaches? Coaches attacking coaches will only lower the esteem coaches currently possess.

5. RealHoopsFan says:

First of all Jared, I dont have a staff or school, and I dont coach. But have worked with children in the past. Will take my time to write this article so you dont get any mixed messages. I’m very offeneded on how you and the other people who post on your site bash the inner city coaches. I say the things that i say to get a rise out of all of you, which has worked.. You and the people who post on this site are friends with the SC, Grand Blanc and other schools. And thats fine but i sit back and take offense to you because you have no idea about inner city athletics. You really don’t, and that’s why the high school coaches and maybe the inner city coaches are looking past your ignorance. Chris seems to have a clue, about some of the things that these coaches go through since he has coached in the inner city. It’s alright to support who you support but why bash other people. And if you were objective you would know that almost every inner city coach is getting alot out of their team. If you knew or could judge talent, you would know that the talent in the inner city is walking the hallways or the streets. So while you and your supporters continue to bash good hard working coaches try doing your homework, on who is getting the most out of thier talent. Please look in the mirror and stop bashing the good people out here trying to help our children. You noticed I’ve never bashed JT, CB, or any other coach just asked questions. First of all I don’t care about theme nor do they set the standard for coaching. All the coaches are doing a good job, with the jobs that they have, but know one is great. But as i always say and always will great players make great coaches. P.S. instead of addressing the questions I asked you, you bashed me and assumed I was some one that I wasn’t. That’s fine because that’s how closed minded you are. Signing off forever!

The reason you are signing off forever, sir, is that you are misrepresenting who you are. You also know that I know it. I’m sure you know that other people know it as well.

Here’s a helpful hint for the future: If you want to pretend to be someone else, don’t use an e-mail address with your name in it when you register to comment. To be honest, though, I’d have known it was you even without that.

6. RealHoopsFan says:

SIGNED OFF FOREVER E-MAIL ADDRESSES ARE OPEN TO EVERYONE I COULD HAVE PUT YOURS IN AND IT WOULD HAVE LET ME POST. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS KNOW THAT ADDRESS. LIKE I SAID BEFORE ASSUME THINGS AS YOU ALWAYS DO AND YOU WILL COME UP WRONG LIKE YOU DID. EVERYONE USES E-MAIL, DON’T YOU HAVE ONE. YOU WILL NEVER KNOW WHO I AM BECAUSE IT’S NOT IMPORTANT. GET THE MESSAGE DONT BASH PEOPLE BECAUSE YOU’RE FRIENDS WITH SOMEONE ELSE. TRUST ME YOUR NOT SMARTER THAN ME, AND WHEN I PLACED THE E-MAIL ADDRESS DON’T YOU KNOW THAT I KNEW YOU COULD FIND THE E-MAIL ADDRESSES IT’S YOUR SITE. SO BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANT I DO NOT CARE, YOU HAVE YOUR OPINION AND I’VE PROVED MINE IF NOT TO ANYBODY BUT MY SELF. LIKE I SAID GONE FOREVER!