Cory Cox, Fenton use 12-0 run in final quarter to down Swartz Creek

Posted: January 14, 2012 by Jared Field in High School, Metro League

SWARTZ CREEK, Michigan — Last season’s script was recycled on Friday night. The last time Fenton played in Swartz Creek’s gym, the Dragons were the better team for three quarters and lost. The very same scenario played out again on Friday night, as Fenton downed Swartz Creek, 51-48.

Creek had a stranglehold on the game; the Dragons had the ball leading by eight points with under four minutes to go. And then came the turnovers. I must say I don’t think I have ever seen a team less comfortable playing with a lead. Fenton went on a 12-0 run and it was curtains for Swartz Creek. The only basket in the final four minutes for the Dragons came with under 30 seconds left in the game.

Give Fenton credit; in an instant, that team turned from prey into predator.

Oh, and this just in: Cory Cox is the best player in the Flint Metro League. The Fenton junior might not be the most talented, but he’s playing the best ball in the conference right now. He’s about as multi-dimensional as they come in high school, and actually better than his brother (Nate Cox, Flushing) was at this point in his development. Nate Cox went on to be a great player at Davenport University — arguably the best player in the school’s history.

Cox had 13 points for Fenton and Eric Readman added 12. Junior Max Cummings had 15 points and senior Jarod Jones had 13 points for Creek. The big surprise for Creek was the lack of production from junior J.D. Tisdale. This was probably the most disjointed game I’ve seen him play. He never got into the flow of the game and lacked the aggression on the offensive end that he normally displays.

Fenton now sits atop the Metro League standings. Swartz Creek is one game back.

About these ads
Comments
  1. Hoops Fan says:

Don’t even start with those type of comments! He needs to develop a 12-18 foot jumper to be a real threat. This league will continue to pack it in tight and plug up the lanes to the basket which JD does real well. In order to open those lanes, the outside shot must be a threat and right now it is not.

2. JohnnyRed12 says:

Sounds like someone needs to calm down… I can count the amount of jumpers he has hit on one hand. Kid is really good and is going to be continue being really good.. Honestly though, I think he wishes he was still at Northern.

• Just in case you still live in the stone age, you may not know that each comment has an address attatched. Is it going to be Hoops Fan or JohnnyRed12? LOL…how many times have you seen him play? And wishing he was at Northern is not even in the mix. When you’re adept at getting to the basket, shooting jumpers is not really at the forefront of your mind. Further, when your offense calls for you to set up your set shooters, that’s what you do. BTW, local club team coaching doesn’t make you an expert. You are right about one thing though…he is really good.

3. G-Mill says:

WOW some very silly comments!!! Should understand how much coaching has to do with someones game! I know I went through it PERSONALLY. Was averaging more than 17pts in the “real” City days of the 4 high schools and competetion everywhere and was benched and told not to shoot the ball!! Then went to college and had the same thing happen only to finally break through. Sad thing about it was I could always shoot and play and when scouts saw me and saw old film they wondered why in the world was i not taking shots! Even other coaches who were opponents asked me in confidence and even thanked the coaches for not letting me “loose” to play my game yet play totally restricted in a system!! Now let me say im TOTALLY for structure and always respected my coaches BUT some have passed time or have not learned to utilize a player yet…. Its no doubt JD is most talented player on the team and there is still work to be done and will be.. yes he still has aspects to work on with his game as all players do..BUT back at northern??? REALLY?? I have seen them play and lets just say leave ALOT to desire.. Dont know why anyone would wish they were back there..lol

4. earl says:

cory is not better than nate was. he’s playing in a worse league, the metro is overhyped now since the big nine is gone and the city teams are mediocre at best. still a good player though.

I’m comparing junior year to junior year. Nate was a very good player, but didn’t really develop into an inside-outside threat until later on. Cory is that right now. Both good players though. Cory would be fortunate to leave college as good as Nate did.

5. earl says:

and i agree with the best player in the league too.

6. Sean Woodruff says:

I’ve watched Tisdale play only twice. The last two Fridays v. Davison and Fenton. I don’t think there was a “lack of aggression” on offense. He was in foul trouble in both games which took him out of his game. He did not attempt even one jump shot in either game and picked up some offensive fouls attempting to drive at a man playing 8 feet off of him. Based on the video above, he looks like he may be able to shoot but the shots in that video are not even close to be taken at the speed he plays the game.

That said, he is still young and developing his decision making. He will develop the decision making ability of when to drive and when to shoot.

From the two games I’ve watched his confidence does not look real high at this point in the season.

• Sean, that I totally agree with…

• Joe Seitz says:

As a father of a 2011 player graduate at SC and still a great fan of the program I think all of us know JD is the most gifted athlete in the gym on any night in the Metro League. I can personally state that my son would have been happy had he transferred a year earlier. As Sean stated, the prior two Friday nights JD has been taken out of the game from what I would call Metro league ticky tack fouls, things JD may have got away with in the City. Case in point he had a phenominal block against the glass in the Fenton game that was called a foul, with little to no contact. This itself will has hampered him in more than those two games. One other thing that goes unnoticed but I believe makes a difference. SC’s gym is a full ten feet shorter than most at 84 feet rather than 94. For a player that relies on his ability to fast break and get to the basket I honestly believe this is a factor as the defense can adjust to clog the paint much quicker. Check out his scoring averages away vs. home and he is getting an additional 5 ppg on the road. As a fan, I know many SC fans that are just waiting for JD to bust loose and carry his squad, although his teammates are capable as well as he plays along a couple of the hardest working kids in the league along with a very capable score in Max Cummings. We are all hoping it happens and soon as SC still can run the table and win their league. JD is a dynamic athlete, a dynamic passer, a dynamic dunker and a great kid that SC is happy to have. He is legitimately the first D-1 prospect EVER on the Swartz Creek basketball court. I have watched many of the best players SC has ever had and I don’t think any of them has ever had the “expectations” that the fans have for JD. Wishing him the best over the next two years and will continue to be there to support JD and his teammates.

7. JohnnyRed12 says:

Look, I like Tisdale’s game and he seems like a great kid… but posting a video of him shooting jump shots in a open gym… get serious… (MJ was really good in batting practice before games LOL)… And for the record I never said the kid couldn’t shoot… all i said is I can count the number of jumpers he has hit on one hand.

• Marcellus Miller says:

Actually you did say that..as Hoops Fan, but ok. The point of the video was simple. People who cannot shoot, cannot shoot in a gym or anywhere else. MJ didn’t look good in batting practice either. Just stick to what you know…

8. Marcellus Miller says:

Mr. Seitz, that post was right on time. Your son was a big plus in the SC program as well as MML. I rather enjoyed the fact that you touched on the adjustment from both ends of the stick. Both the program and the player have to meld and mesh into one cohesive unit. I knew the gym seemed small but I guess I never realized just how samll. But now as I think about it, that makes perfect sense. Having coached Max and some of the others for a summer, what you say about them being extremely hard workers is very true and Max is a gifted athlete in his own right as well.

• Sean Woodruff says:

Spot on about the officiating. If you REALLY want to see a difference try going on the road in the KLAA with Grand Blanc. It’s the most ridiculous officiating I have ever seen. You can’t breathe hard on an offensive player. It helps them keep their barn burner 30-24 overtime game scores. lol

• Joe Seitz says:

Marcellus, my comments really weren’t meant that the program and the player have to mesh. I am a believer in JT’s program and the players must mesh to HIS program. My comments were really meant to indicate I support our program and our players. I’ve seen several examples over the past couple years of players meshing to his expectations and to the program expectations. Two years ago this brought SC its first championship in 20 years. Everyone had a role on that team. This year JT has two of the hardest working kids in the league in his two captains and another great player in Max Cummings, who is probably a top 5 player in this league. They are all program players. My comments regarding JD is that he is probably the most athletic kid in the league and the hype that preceded him, we expect him to be great program player as well. Everyone plays their role in a winning program. I love watching great athletes play basketball as it brings incredible excitement to this game and as I said we as fans are still waiting on him to bust loose for SC, and honestly I think he is in the best hands in the area to prepare him to play at this level and beyond. As an SC fan I hope this team fulfills its expectations!

• Well, I will respectfully disagree. While players must conform, any coach will also tell you they must adjust to their personnel. The idea that one can do things the same way every year with different personnel doesn’t make great sense. Coach Trent has said as much in moving from his last program to this one. Coaching is about constant adjustments. It does not mean one compromises their principles and ideals, but rather moves to the tune of what they have to work with. Those players you mentioned did not become program players through osmosis. Because this is high school and you don’t get to choose your players, you have to adjust to their strengths. Last year, there was likely a ton more inside play because of the big that was there. This year, not so much. The plans change based on the perimter abilities. You wouldn’t run a four guard offense with four power forwards or run a 3-pt offense with kids who couldn’t shoot. But I understand your sentiment. In college and the pros, it makes a lot of sense. You recruit kids that fit your preferred style. In a lot of ways that is what makes coaching on the next level easier. In high school, you get what you got, period. The mere fact that you pointed out this was the first D1 prospect SC has had means that there has to be adjustments. I have coached several D-1 players and it is different than not having them, but who am I to tell anybody that I guess…

9. George Miller says:

Im glad to see some people with very good comments speaking and giving great perspectives on this subject. Alot of things fit into the big scheme of things and all will eventually come together

10. Sean Woodruff says:

Marcellus touches on what I believe to be the key distinction between good/great high school coaches and mediocre coaches. A good high school coach adapts his system to match his team’s skills. The mediocre coach attempts to force his players to play with what he knows to coach. That’s why the mediocre coach gets inconsistent results. When he has the players that fit, his team wins. A good coach, which I believe Jeremy Trent is, works with the players he has and the skills they possess. College coaching may be easier because a college coach can recruit players to “fit” in his system. College coaching is like playing blackjack as the dealer while high school coaching is like playing blackjack as the player. One deals the cards to be played in the game while the other plays the cards he is dealt.

• Marcellus Miller says:

That bears repeating from me as well…Coach Trent IS a good coach, so nothing I have said was saying anything opposite of that. Just to be clear.

• Sean Woodruff says:

I agree, Marcellus. I would go so far as to say he is one of the best in Genesee County. I’ve watched them all at one point or another.

11. G-Mill says:

DEEEFFFINITELY a key point by Marcellus. So different in the college and pro game because you get players to fit what you have and fitting in the right system makes some players as good as they are. Other players are great and you adjust your system to their abilities. This is where you see in the pro game so much where the coaches get changed for great players instead of trading the players away. The great coaches “tweek” their system and benefit from the players skills. Its a give give situation on both sides and i know this from experience. No one player is bigger than the team but one player can make the team more than it could ever be without him.