There wasn’t a lot of offense on display on Friday night in the Flint area, but here are a few highlights:
- Lake Fenton senior guard Darian Welch scored 27 points in a 5-point loss to Montrose. Last season the Rams dismantled Lake Fenton, so this is a good sign for first-year head coach Jacob Erway. Through two games, Welch is averaging 25.5 points per game.
- In the same game, Montrose junior Malik Taylor scored 25 points against the Blue Devils. Adding insult to injury, Taylor was the hero of the Rams’ victory over Lake Fenton on the gridiron in the fall.
- Senior wing Mitchell Rubio scored 24 points in a pick-your-final-score type of game for the Martians. Goodrich beat Durand by 57 points in Tim Tenneriello’s first game as the Martians’ head coach.
- Junior guard Marquavian Stephens led Swartz Creek to a victory over Holly. Stephens stepped in to take up the scoring load for senior guard J.D. Tisdale, who was out after suffering a concussion in the first game.
- Buctown senior Monte Morris scored 22 points in a win over Perry Friday night to match his 22 points in the Bucs win over Flint Northern on Tuesday.
- Lapeer West’s senior point guard Cullen Turczyn scored 22 points to lead West to a win over Kearsley. First-year head coach Chuck Mahoney is now 2-0 on the season.
- Birch Run’s multi-sport standout Taylor Ellis scored 23 points in the Panthers’ win over St. Charles.
- Ortonville-Brandon sharpshooter Dylan Morris scored 20 points in a blowout win over Linden.