Standing ‘Pat’: Preseason Flint-area top 15 players

Posted: November 30, 2009 by Jared Field in High School, Rankings
Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Mlive.com

Here’s my list of top 15 players in the Flint area for 2009-10. I had decided to do 10 players, but there’s too much talent here for so few.

It’s early, but these are my guys:

1.) Patrick O’Brien, Senior, Flint Powers: All-around, he’s just the best.
2.) Patrick Lucas-Perry, Junior, Flint Powers: Great floor general.
3.) Glenn Cosey, Senior, Flint Carman-Ainsworth: Tough lead guard hampered by stodgy C-A offense.
4.) Shaq Smith, junior, Flint Northern: Mostly unguardable.
5.) William Sams, Senior, Montrose (transfer): Gets better every time I see him. I could see him scoring 20+ per game in the GAC Blue.
6.) Travon Mitchell, Senior, Flint Northwestern: Big-time athlete that can shoot a little, too.
7.) Rick Dent, Senior, Flint Northern (transfer): B-U-C-K-E-T-S.
8.) Dee Chapman, Senior, Carman-Ainsworth: Could be great, but will he?
9.) Jojuan Graham, Senior, Flint Southwestern: Smooth scorer.
10.) Roy “The Snake” Jackson, Senior, Hamady: Slinky, quick and improving as a shooter.
11.) Gerald Williams, Senior, Flint Northern (transfer): He looks like a stud all the sudden.
12.) Demarco Sanders, Senior, Flint Powers: He’d probably be the best player on most teams in the area and he’s Powers’ third option.
13.) Andrew Patrick, Senior, Goodrich: Great all-around player who seems like he’s been around forever.
14.) Thomas Lovachis, Senior, Holly (transfer): A known commodity in Lansing area; I’ll wait and see.
15.) Joey Jerisk, Senior, Burton Bentley: Tough as nails point guard that can lock up.

On the cusp:  Jaylen Larry, Flint Carman-Ainsworth; Patrick Haggin, Grand Blanc; Lance Hopkin, Holly; Mitch Vallie, Goodrich; Josh Young, SWA; Cody Campbell, Swartz Creek; Tyler Hamilton, Fenton; Lucas Sorenson, Clio; Justin Fowler, Holly; Kiontae Brown, Flushing; Zach Treib, Flushing; Thomas Jean, Genesee; Dominez Burnett, Flint Hamady; Quinn Langston, Flint Hamady; Pierre Bracket, Flint Powers; Trevor Lucas, Goodrich.

— Jared Field
Comments
  1. Williford says:

I wasn’t aware that Rick Dent transferred to Northern.

2. I have a feeling this list will be quite fluid throughout the year…should be some exciting stuff this season!

Yeah. Honestly, I didn’t think twice about O’Brien at #1. I’m not even a coach (far from it), but I can’t imagine a more valuable player to a coach than O’Brien (OK, maybe a 7-footer). He does it all and he’s probably the toughest player on that list, too.

• Marcellus Miller says:

What about the leading rebounder, scorer, defender, and shot blocker? That may be what Travon is…While I am not saying he is definitely better than Pat, it is not as far off as it may seem. But time will tell…

O’Brien is the most skilled player out there. If he had Mitchell’s athleticism, then we would be talking about a high major prospect.

3. It Ain't Right says:

I have no problem with Dee Chapman at 8. I just remember seeing him as a freshy thinking he was the next best thing. Potential can take you along way, but he hasn’t improved really that much. Do you guys think he is D1?

4. Marquel Ponder says:

I should be up here Jareds a hater always have been

5. Williford says:

I like Graham at 9. He’s expected to put up big numbers this year at Southwestern. Without Central in the city mix, I’m interested in seeing how things will play out this year. Should be exciting.

6. mr hoops says:

hey jaredwhat about jaQwan stitt a year ago he was top 10 in point guards for the 2011 class what happened to him? he still has talent…im interested in seeing what he can do this year at flushing……

7. roadrunners17 says:

How is pat haggin not nowhere on this ranking by far the best shooter in this area, and one of the best in the state. I do agree that Gerald Williams will be one of the top players in the area this year put in major work this summer.

8. john says:

Jojuan and Rick are by far the best scoring guards on the list and shaq

9. Marcellus Miller says:

I know Glenn and Demarco won’t have any trouble scoring either.

10. BobcatBall says:

William Sams has transferred from Grand Blanc back to Montrose. A big change in the Bobcat lineup will be made, But the Bobcats still have returner Patrick Haggin and two new players Junior gurad Brandon Hill and Sophomore guard Jordan Fields. Coach Belcher and the Bobcats loses Senior guard Will Sams but still has lots of talent.

• Money says:

Wow Will Sams left Grand Blanc, My question is Why??? But Brandon Hill should be a good help with the Bobcats team. And also Patrick Haggin is still around.

What on earth is going on at Grand Blanc? They could have been a top 10 team in class A in Michigan with Jones, Sams, Martin, Vallie and Haggin.

Hill has a lot of potential, as does Jordan Fields, but I don’t think they will be winning a whole lot this year.

• Klaa says:

Sams left because of problems with coach Belcher

• CMU says:

I’ve seen Brandon Hill at AAU tournaments playing with Mid Michigan Lakers and he has lots of potential he is a great scoring guard and can also get some assist and rebounds on the stat sheet he’s long and an good athletic player. Bobcats has nice talent, Haggin is still around he is a great shooter, Jordan Fields is a good player, Marcus Tucker is another player who will contribute for Grand Blanc i know they all will step up now that William Sams has transferred, Coach Belcher has great talent on his roster.

• Hoops24 says:

Looks like Goodrich should make it 3 years in a row over the big brother next door.

11. C.Coleman says:

Nah………I Agree With Most Of This But Its Gonna Be Some Changes Believe It Or Not

12. Coach says:

Demarco Glenn Patrick Lp and Chapman Is my top 5

13. Coach says:

Not an any order but thats what it would be

I don’t know. I may have Sams ranked too high, but the last time I saw him he really impressed me. I’ve been a critic of his game for a while, but you have to give it to the kid. He’s gotten a lot better. And he’s more athletic than four of the five you list.

15. Marellus Miller says:

Jaylen McGee is also very impressive on that NW team.

16. Williford says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, didn’t Jared say that he didn’t make this list?

17. Marcellus Miller says:

Hmm…the tone of this discussion has left me curious…who would be the best STARTING 5? I mean 2 guards, 2 forwards, and a center…what do you think?

18. Williford says:

That would be a better list to make.
    Maybe an All-area 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team..?

19. Harrison Parks says:

Don’t sleep on Matt Frierson, Sr guard for Burton’s Genesee Christian, was a transfer last year, he locked up Devante Jackson in a come from behind win last year. A pure shooter.

Is he the kid who transferred from Grand Blanc?

21. My area 5 right now (all “high school” positions):
    1- Shaquille Smith (Northern)- There is no one with a quicker first step
    2- Patrick Lucas-Perry (Powers)- yes he CAN play the 2
    3- Travon Mitchell (NW)- all-around player that in not even close to peeking
    4- Pat O’Brien (Powers)- this whole board started with him and he deserves to be here with his game
    5- Dee Chapman (C-A)- Won’t get close to center in college, but plays it frquently in high school. Definitely a force to be reckoned with.

Second team:
    1- Roy Jackson (Hamady)
    2- Glenn Cosey (C-A)
    3- Demarco Sanders (Powers)
    4- Gerald Williams (Northern)
    5- Jaylen Larry (C-A)

Third team:
    1- Bill Sams (Montrose)
    2- Jojuan Graham (SWA)
    3- Rick Dent (Northern)
    4- Dominez Burnett (Hamady)
    5- Lucas Sorenson (Clio)

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

I AGREE WIT THE 1ST TEAM…BUT THAT 2ND TEAM “I DONT KNO” BUT I HAV NOT SEEN ALL PLAY…..I SEEN JAYLEN LARRY PLAY 1 TIME AND HE PLAY LAZY DONT GIVE 100%…ROY JACKSON ?????IM NOT SOLD..I SEEN DOMINEZ PLAY GOODRICH 20 AND 15 OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT BUT SEEN THE BEECHER GAME HAD LIKE 6PTS SO I DONT KNO..WHAT U THINK????

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

MAYBE IM NOT SOLD ON HAMADY PLAYER CUZ THEY DONT PLAY NOBODY AND U HAV 2 ON YO LIST…I WILL BE AT THE SW AND HAMADY GAME 12/30….

• I can understand the skepticism on the Hamady players due to the weak schedule and I too am curious to see them against SWA. However, I will say that I have seen both many times over the summer and know that they have improved a great deal over time. Can they perform in the confines of the team though? We shall see…

• Wasn’t Dominez in your top 5 picks above?

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

YES!!!!DOMINEZ WAS I WAS LOOKIN AT THE UPSIDE AND IF HE PLAY LIKE THAT GOODRICH GAME HES ONLY A JR….

• Hoops24 says:

Nobody from Goodrich? They have a big transfer from GB in Vallie and key returnees in Andrew Patrick, Trevor Lucas and Derek Warner. They did play a legit schedule last year and beat GB, Northwestern, Hamady. Not to mention only losing by a few points to Powers in the playoffs. (their closest game on the way to the Breslin) You would think you could find room for 1 guy from Goodrich!

22. John says:

Second Team:
    1-Glenn Cosey (C-A)
    2-Jojuan Graham (SWA)
    3-Demarco Sanders (Powers)
    4-Gerald Williams (Northern)
    5-Jaylen Larry (C-A)

Third Team:
    1-Jaylen Magee (NW)
    2-Rick Dent (Northern)
    3-Dominez Burnett (Hamady)
    4-Lucas Sorenson (Clio)
    5-Dionte Savage (C-A)

23. Williford says:

I think we all can agree that this season is going to be a rather interesting one. I’m particularly interested in seeing Southwestern, Northern, and Northwestern play other teams throughout the area.

24. I will admit my infamiliarity with Goodrich, so my ommission may be from a position of ignorance.

25. Jaylen Larry says:

The problem is are team just dont get no love but its cool because everyoone gone see a complete takeover just watch

26. […] has been determined to expand his game and take on a leadership role.  He was initially ranked at #9 in GLH editor Jared Field’s Flint-area top 15 and may be moving up the board with his early performances.  He has the mid- range jump shot that […]

27. KEEPIT100 says:

MARQUEL DIRT SHAQ HE HAS TO HIT THE BOOKS HES A DUM KID . AND DRE PARKS IS A FRESHMAN BY CREDITS SO GET HIM OUT THE PICTURE. AND GERALD IS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE CITY……………………………….WITH TREVON ON HIS AZZ

28. The Ball says:

what about the freshman. yall don’t show them no love.