What are we talking about, Bob Root? Practice?

Posted: December 17, 2009 by Jared Field in High School
Tags: , , , ,

The Answer isn't the only one talkin' about practice.

So it’s official: Clarkston owns Flint Carman-Ainsworth.

I’m miffed at how five consecutive losses between two “rival” schools still amounts to a rivalry. At some point, don’t you just have to call it off for a while?

Last night, the Cavs lost again to Clarkston in a game that went down to the wire before a very predictable outcome.

After the game, paying obvious homage to Allen Iverson, Flint C-A coach Bob Root was talking about pratice.

In the game story from the Flint Journal, Root made a confounding statement about his team:

“Last year, we didn’t have one good practice and I have three guys back from that team.

“We don’t play hard enough in practice consistently and until we do, we’re not going to be a good team. But there’s time.”

What are we talking about? Practice? Not the game … not the game that C-A has lost five straight times, but practice.

Let me get this straight: 1.) Your team didn’t have one good practice last year; 2.) you have what amounts to an entirely new team this year; 3.) you still don’t have “good” practices?

Either your three returners can’t practice or something else is going on. Either way, Clarkston owns Flint C-A. If I were Root, I’d consult with former coach Rory Mattar and bring in Zach McGee as an assistant. Those guys could handle C-Town.

Comments
  1. Gavin Raath says:

To not get a win in one of the last three years, particularly with this team and the one that had Jon Lee, is pretty discouraging. If you can’t win with those teams, against depleted Clarkston teams, then when can you?

And Mattar’s teams that won by the way, had far less talent than Root’s.

I don’t know much about Clarkston other than that they lost a bunch from last year. Kamieniecki is really good, but who else do they have to match Larry, Chapman and Cosey?

That Tatu kid is from Holly, right? I wouldn’t put him at their level.

Denzel Watts is really nice, though.

2. Practice? Not a game, but practice? Come on now, clearly he is using some “coachspeak” because two years of bad practices is ridiculous. I think that the time has come to bring some fresh blood to C-A so the next group can roll forward more smoothly than the current.

3. And Watts…yeah, he’s a player, no doubt.

4. Jared Allen says:

The Tatu kid isn’t at their level? I believe the box scores disagree. The only CA player who outscored him was Cosey and it was only by 2. Looks to me like he can play at their level…

5. It Ain't Right says:

Call me crazy, but if they do not practice hard, then why do you play them. I do not care how athletically gifted they are. If they do not work hard then sit them in the game. Constantly giving them all the playing time won’t change anything. C-A’s second five is good enough to beat a few teams best five. So take the change at maybe losing a few games to set the rest of the guys straight so all cylinders will be rolling come tourney time… but who I am…

• Gavin Raath says:

You’re not crazy. I just think Root maybe needs to change his expectations and maybe his gameplan to revolve around the players that he’s got and not what he wants.

• It Ain't Right says:

Oh you mean he isn’t coaching the Hickory Huskers from Indiana…lol and he actually has the best athletes in Flint…. Why don’t they press more? He is no Jim Boeheim on the 2-3 zone that’s for sure.

6. Gavin Raath says:

Ha! That’s pretty funny. You are right, every coach in the state would kill to have Root’s roster. Imagine what Fife would do with those guys?

7. Xcav says:

Root is a terrible coach..thats all.