Flying high: Is Hamady the best team in the Flint area?

Posted: December 30, 2009 by Jared Field in High School

FLINT, Michigan — After Wednesday afternoon’s demoralizing beatdown of Flint Southwestern, I don’t think it’s a stretch to call Hamady the top team in the Flint area.

The Hawks toyed with Southwestern, won by nearly 30 points and put four players in double figures. Southwestern’s guards couldn’t handle the Hawks’ press and could not come close to matching their intensity.

If the Hawks had played full-out in the final quarter they probably would have won by 40. It was, in a word, ugly.

Player notes

• The best player on the floor was Hamady’s 6-2 senior point guard Roy Jackson. He was all over the court, playing on and off the ball, and showing why he’s easily one of the top guards in the state in class C. Jackson is much stronger in his upper body this season and showed it in the first half when he took contact at the basket and finished with the foul. Jackson is starting to live up to the hype. He’s not an exceptional athlete, but he has hang time in the lane and is tough to stop going to the basket. He finished with 23 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists. Perhaps more important is this stat:  two turnovers.
  • The most intriguing prospect on the floor was Hamady’s  6-3 junior forward Dominez Burnett. The Flint-area scoring leader had some trouble at the foul line, but otherwise dominated Southwestern’s lackluster frontline. Burnett’s inside/outside game gave the Knights fits. He scored 26 points with 11 rebounds for the Hawks. Burnett and sophomore forward Quin Langston, who finished with 14 points and 10 rebounds, might be the most effective forward tandem in the Flint area. Neither freaks out upon receiving the ball in the post and both can make high to low passes. Langston had a really smooth spin move and basket in transition in the first half.
  • Another name to remember is senior guard Daryll Dixon for Hamady. He’d probably be the best guard on numerous teams in mid-Michigan. He’s a strong ballhandler and shooter. He finished with 17 points, seven rebounds and four assists.
  • What more can be said about Southwestern? They don’t really look like they care that much. Their best player, senior wing JoJaun Graham led all scorers with 30 points and eight rebounds. The problem, of course, is that it took 32 shots to get 30 points. Southwestern really misses senior guard Rick Dent, who transferred to Flint Northern. Dent would have given Hamady the business. That being said, Southwestern just doesn’t have the horses to compete at Hamady’s level.
Comments
  1. Williford says:

It really was an ugly game. I think if Dent would’ve stayed at SWA, the game would’ve went a different way as well. Also, if the Knights possibly had a big man, such as Dionte Savage, someone who could’ve handled the boards better than the Knights’ front line did, I believe the game would’ve been different. It all comes down to the fundamentals of basketball. Roy Jackson’s got it. I know his name has been blown up quite a bit on here, but he really has the potential to change games drastically. I can remember when he was thinking about transferring this past summer, and he was leaning towards a Flint Community School team, probably because they are all in either Division A or B. Think about that. Jackson in a Viking’s uniform? Or a Knight’s uniform? A Wildcats’ uniform? Unreal.
    Also, Burnett and Langston really controlled the game on the boards. They did an excellent job.

One thing I would enjoy to see: Hamady vs Northern. I think with Northern’s athletic ability, and bigger guy, the game could be a much close game than this one was.

All in all, the better team won tonight. I love my Knights, but when this happens, something has to be done. SWA got beat in just about every aspect, aside from Jojuan’s 30 point effort, which lead all scorers. Hamady will continue their reign of terror on the Class C level.

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

TODAY WAS MY FIRST TIME SEENIN HAMADY PLAY…I DONT THINK “DENT” WOULD HAV MADE ANY DIFFERENCE 2DAY..SW LOST BY 26 COULD HAV BEEN 40 HAMADY WAS JUS 2 MUCH 4 THEM INSIDE AND OUT…BEST TEAM IVE SEEN SO FAR……..JOJUAN TOOK 32 SHOTS AND ONLY GOT 30..”come on man”IF THATS THE CASE,,THAT BURNETT KIDS SHOULD OF HAD 40…

Dent probably would have fouled out one or both of their big men.

That being said, Hamady should still have Pierre Bracket. Imagine that lineup.

• Williford says:

Jojuan took 32 shots because he had to. Who else was going to score? He has the best scoring ability, along with Magee, in the area. Yes, Hamady is a good team. But keep in mind, SWA didn’t have a big guys that could step up. Like I said, Savage would have disrupted that a bit. And Dent certainly would have changed the game. You probably haven’t seen him play. I can remember just a few years ago when Dent, Chaz Johnson, and Gerald Williams all went to SWA. Imagine that lineup. Josh Young at the 1 guard. Jojuan at the 2 guard. Dent at the 3. Gerald Williams at the 4, and Savage at center. That would’ve given them the big guy for the boards, and the athleticism to compete down the stretch.

I really wish kids would pick a school and stay there.

• Williford says:

I was thinking the same exact thing. Gerald and Johnson transferred from SWA to Central for their junior years too, keep that in mind. It’s ridiculous to transfer so many times.

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

EVERYBODY ON HERE SAYIN “IF” IF I HAD A MILLION DOLLARS I WOULD BE RICH..I DONT CARE ABOUT HAMADY BUT IM GOING 2 GIVE THEM THERE “DO” AND NOT SAY “IF”

• Well, they were forced to transfer this year…No more Central, so I wouldn’t count this in the number of times they transferred.

2. John says:

The knights played a lil bit 2 scared to win tonight……Guards Josh and Chuck will have 2 step up in big games….Jojuan cant do it alone and he had 2 take 32 shots for them 2 even stay in the game…. which they didnt…Jojuan from what i see is one of the best players around hands down…. and If dent played with S dub… him and Jojuan wouldve tore Hamadys defense up.. to of the best scorers around…. and by the way Jojuan finished with 30pts and 8Reb

3. John says:

not true 23

4. John says:

30pts with a not so good game….. tells u wat this kid can do….. From what i see Jojuan And Jaylen magee have the best scoring abilities around… and explosive… Shaq didnt play so well tonight..

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

SO U SAYIN 30PTS WIT 32SHOTS IS A GOOD GAME…JOJUAN AND JAYLEN SHOT 2 MUCH…JOJUAN OVERRATED…

• Jojo is not overrated…he is a good player on a bad team. Does he need better shot selection? Absolutely…but when your posts give you next to nothing, it’s hard to be too picky with shots.

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

COME ON M.M…WHAT DO U SEE IN HIM THAT I DONT??I SEEN HIM PLAY NW AND HAMADY…32 SHOTS GOT ME..SHIT I CAN SCORE 30 AND I SMOKE BLUNTS EVERYDAY..LOL

• Trust me…the young man can play. I am not touting him as the next NBAer, but he is good. Understand that it is very hard when you are the focal point of the other team every game and there is not a ton of talent around you. I understand your point, but that’s a rough shooting game. 32 shots is a ton for anyone…

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

M.M MAYBE I SHOULD NOT JUDGE HIM OFF 2 GAMES IVE SEEN…

• Williford says:

Jojuan Graham is most certainly not overrated. 32 shots is a lot, maybe too much, but nobody else was going to step up. If Roy Jackson were on that team, he would’ve had the same outcome.

Think back to last year, when SWA had a few bigger guys like Demarkus Bracy and Kortez Ross. Jojuan still was putting up numbers.

Your logic for basketball baffles me, sir. In a respectable way.

5. Shaq certainly had a bad game scoring-wise. No doubt about it.

6. John says:

Marcellus-Wat do u think of the guard play of the trio Guards for Southwestern Josh,Jojuan,Chuck… Wat our there individual roles

• I think that Josh has to be the distributor. I know that when he makes up his mind to be a passer, he sees the court quite well. It is when he thinks score-first that he gets into trouble. He should be the 3rd scorer of the trio and focus on trying to get the ball to everyone when and where they need it to be effective.

Chuck should focus on scoring more than Josh and should be the second option. I have not seen him play much, but know he’s better than he looked yesterday. I would like to see a more consistent jump shot and some more trips to the foul line, meaning aggressive play from Chuck.

Jojo should be a shot maker. Scoring has to be his primary focus for that team to do anything. I love the kid’s attitude and heart. I don’t love his jumper. Yes, he can shoot, but it takes too long to get off and sometimes he lets his left hand stay on the ball too long to be totally effective. He has started to attack the basket more and has a pretty good midrange shot when he wants it.

7. John says:

I agree with Marcellus no where near overrated….He has to score…. one of the best players around…And Jojuan has to shoot a lot for them to at least have a chance

8. Royce says:

I coached both Jackson and Burnett in middle school. and I am happy to see their sucess. Jackson contrary to belief is a true point guard but has shifted to the two because of his soring ability and to help his team. Next Ricky Dent is a great athlete but is not as skilled. If you noticed Hamady’s defense was just like a shell drill, which means Ricky would’ve rarely had one on one situations. Big Savage would’ve been nice but with Dominez really being a guard he would’ve had problems matching up on the perimeter. I was happy to see the whole teams success yesterday and hope to see all of them even the seniors in the gym this summer….GO HAWKS

• Hoops24 says:

I think Goodrich will beat Hamady. Vallie and Patrick can matchup with Burnett and Jackson and they have a lot more depth than Hamady. Goodrich nearly beat a good Pontiac team last week. Either way looking forward to seeing a great Saturday game on Jan. 30.