The Flint-area’s top 10 teams

Posted: December 31, 2009 by Jared Field in High School

1.) Flint Hamady: They’re the best until proven otherwise. I never thought I’d have a GAC team in this spot —  ever. The Hawks are well-coached and loaded with talent. They can play with anybody. Jackson, Burnett and Langston are as solid a trio as you’ll find in the state.

2.) Flint Carman-Ainsworth: They beat Powers and they’re probably the only team in the area that wouldn’t worry so much about Hamady’s post scorers.

3.) Flint Powers: Great team in spite of the blemish against C-A. Senior guard Demarco Sanders is starting to turn it out. He’s one of the most gifted scorers in the area. No one would be surprised if Powers was actually the best in the area by season’s end.

4.) Flint Northwestern: They’re scrappy and small, like always. Senior Travon Mitchell and juniors Jay Magee and Dre Parks are scoring in bunches.

5.) Grand Blanc: I don’t care what anyone says, they just have a great coach.

6.) Goodrich: They’re as deep as ever. Patrick, Warner, Vallie, Lucus and company can compete with anyone on this list.

7.) Buctown: I almost put Flint Northern at this position, but that’s the price you pay for laying an egg in an ugly win over a Flushing team that was snowed under by Carman-Ainsworth. Buctown overachieves and plays harder than any team in the area. Sophomore guard Antwan Burks is nice.

8.) Flint Northern: A bunch of talent, no results. Same old story.

9.) Fenton: The top team in the Metro League last season is back and solid as ever.

10.) Burton Bentley: Unbeaten and ranked 10th in the latest AP poll. Senior guard Joey Jerisk is a warrior for the Bulldogs.

Editor’s note: I do realize, of course, that Flint Southwestern would beat both Fenton and Bentley, but after watching them yesterday I couldn’t bear the thought of putting them in the top 10.

Comments
  1. Coach says:

Do u really feel Hamady would really beat Flint Powers or Carman

I don’t see why not. I think Hamady will probably end up being the #1 team in class C in the state. I don’t think that’s a stretch.

I just look at matchups and how hard Hamady plays.

I’d love to find out.

Before the season started, I heard an area coach say that this was the best Hamady team he’d ever seen — and they’ve had some good ones.

C-A would probably give them a lot of trouble.

I wish Hamady could play either of those teams. I certainly wouldn’t be surprised either way.

2. You have got to be kidding…did Beecher get extra credit for effort? Northern already beat them handily and their only loss was to Northwestern and that was a 2-point game in the 4th quarter. Further, wasn’t Flushing the team that was being pumped on this very site after Luke Seibt’s 30 point game and there defeat of Saginaw Heritage? Beating them by 7 while playing your worst game possible may not be such a bad thing. Most teams that shoot 30% against anybody will lose by 20 easy. Oh yeah, Northern’s second leading scorer, ,top rebounder, leader in steals, and best athlete didn’t play in the game…I don’t know but that might have made a difference. 5-1 record is not too bad I would say as far as results are concerned. I would change the order of the top 3, but do feel they are the right three there.

• wait a minute says:

I would like to see a Powers, Hamady game. Jackson and Lucas-Perry, Burnett and O’Brien. Both teams would match-up pretty well with each other. That Goodrich/Hamady game is going to be something. I see 3 GAC teams with 1 Metro team. The Metro league might be the worst Class A league in the state of Michigan. It’s hard to argue that they have a better league then the GAC. As for Northern, they look like they should be a lot better than what they are no matter what there record. Who have they beaten?

• Beecher, TC St. Francis, Dow, TC Central, Flushing. That’s a well-respected team, #8 in class C, a decent Dow club, a physical Central club, and a Flushing team that some said would be the 3rd best team in the SVL. But like I said in another post…it’s still early. I could ask who most of these teams have beaten to this point though….hasn’t been real tough yet for many of them.

I have very little faith in Northern, obviously. They just have too many players. Buctown seems to be getting better while Northern struggled against a northern Michigan team and Flushing, a team that was absolutely demoralized by C-A.

If Northern’s players played like Beecher’s, they’d probably be number one. A lot of talent on that team — probably too much.

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

I AGREE….GOT 2 B THE COACH…SHOULD B #1 TEAM HANDS DOWN….

• I also agree that if they played harder, things would be much better (speaking of Northern). Keep in mind the mix of players have to gel too. Oh yeah, there was no “struggle” with TC Central. That same Flushing team beat Heritage as well.

3. Yeah, I don’t know that I’d put Northern that low. The Flushing game was ugly, but something has to be said for an ability to win an ugly game. Northern found a way without Williams-Taylor and with Shaq Smith struggling a bit, so something has to be said for that. Aundre Gibson, Don Lewis and Dalvin David were really active in the second half.

And Northern did do a good job on Seibt, who was held to single digits and didn’t make a three for the first time this season.

4. John says:

Wheres Shaq and Jojuan.on the List and trayvon

• I battled with Shaq, Marco, Jojo, Tray-Mitch, and Dominez. It is very difficult to narrow to just 5 so I tied to just include the first few weeks of the season in the assessment. There are a lot of talented players.

5. Coach says:

Wheres Demarco Sanders on the list?

6. Coach says:

Top Teams
    1.CA
    2.Powers
    3.Hamady
    4.Northern
    5.NW

Top Players
    1.Cosey
    2.Lp
    3.Sanders
    4.Obrien
    5.JoJuan

7. eye witness says:

How many shots, did Nothern’s coach miss the other night. Or did he have a lot of turnovers. Oh it was him that didn’t rebound. I think players make coaches, not the other way around. When is the last time a top program has been recruiting a Flint Athlete.

8. eye witness says:

And furthermore for IT IS WHAT IT IS. Your putting the success of Northern’s team on the coach. Is he not playing the guys that he should be playing , and furthermore where have you coached and what is your record. And if you really no what your talking about why arent you coaching somewhere. Its really harder than it looks. I sit in the stands the other night and listened to a lot of people who didnt have a clue about coaching or working with young children .

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

WHATEVER!!! THATS BULLSH*T…WIT THAT TEAM THEY SHOULD BE #1 IN THE AREA…THEY HAV 1 OF THE TOP 3 PG AND IF HE NOT PLAYIN THE GUY HE SUPPOSE 2 PLAY WHAT TYPE OF COACH IS THAT..???AND THEY GOT SIZE…

• Let me ask this of IT IS WHAT IT IS…How many of Northern’s current roster played for Northern last year? I will answer for you, 2. That’s it, just 2 (Shaq Smith and Darrell Williams). Now why should they be #1 6 games into a season with 9 new players and more new to come at the halfway point? Any coach or player on any level will tell you that a roster turnover of that magnitude is difficult at best…

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

M.M I JUS THINK THEY SHOULD B ALOT BETTER WIT THE TALENT AND SIZE THEY HAV…HAD ALL SUMMER AND PRACTICE AND 6 GAMES TO GEL….MAYBE IM WRONG OR MAYBE NOT….PLUS WE NOT TALKIN ABOUT UNDERCLASSMEN BUT SENIORS WHO HAV PLAYED IN BIG GAMES..ON ANY LEVEL IN ANY SPORT A COACH JOB IS 2 GET THE BEST OUT OF YOUR PLAYERS…M.M IS TUCKER DOIN THAT???????????

• I will agree that the idea is to get the best out of the players is the coach’s ultimate goal. Is he doing that yet with all? Not yet…remember that some of these seniors played at Central where they were counted on for few “big” games because of Meechie last year. Also, the summer was skewed because none of the transfers played for Northern in the summer. 6 games of gelling is not much, but we shall see soon with their tough schedule coming up with Arthur Hill and Clarkston being the next two opponents.

• It Ain't Right says:

Well personally the reason I feel that the city isn’t as good as it used to be although the talent is down… I just feel that the coaching has been very good. But out of the city coaches, Coach Bush gets the most out of his players and his teams have the most discipline. Some other solid coaches in the flint area are: Archie Robinson, Gary Barns, Tim Olszewski, Jermey Trent… just to name a few… oh and btw when Northern hired Tucker he wasn’t even their first choice… their original hire moved south for work…

• It Ain't Right says:

i meant to say the coaching in the city is terrible not good…my bad..

• It Ain't Right says:

When was the last time a top player was recruited out of Genesee County? did you read my response yet to your comments on the ranking blog yet? Still waiting for your comment back on that one. Get off Coach Tucker’s sack unless of course you are him yourself. Nobody likes you. You are a terrible coach. you have the most talented team in the County outside of C-A and you guys underachieve every year

• It Ain't Right says:

that was for eye witness btw…

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

THANK YOU!!!!SOMEBODY SEE WHAT I SEE….HE CAN NOT COACH……

• Curious question…who is a good coach in your opinion?

• It Ain't Right says:

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

M.M POWERS COACH CUZ HE GETS THE BEST OUT OF HIS PLAYERS….STATE CHAMPION 2 SHOW 4 IT…WHO U THINK??

• It Ain't Right says:

I agree, he does a great job at powers. Far much better than I thought he would when powers hired him a few years ago.

• I like Trent the most right now along with Lamont Torbert. I know he coaches girls, but what he has done with them is no small feat. But also understand that Powers didn’t win because they got a lot out of nothing. They had and have a ton of talent. They won with what many considered the BEST PG and the BEST SG and the BEST SF in the area, not to mention the rest of the players. In fact, in watching the championship game, you saw the assistants doing most of the talking. Similarly, NW is the same way, but why do we think they are devoid of talent? They have 3 of the top regarded perimeter players in the area in Parks, Magee, and Mitchell. Northern has only one that was even mentioned in the preseason talks. Powers now has #1 PG- PLP, #1 overall (to some) O’Brien, Top-5 SG Sanders, solid player in Brackett, and the #1 ranked 2012 wing coming in January in Hawkins. Who can’t get something out of that? They do a GREAT job of recruiting though. This site just named Hamady as its #1 and named plenty of players as very good or best tandem in Jackson, Burnett, Langston, and Dixon. I guess their cupboard is bare. I am just comparing the talent and that’s why I initially asked the question. Coaches look like good coaches when they have great talent for the most part. Name me some that have taken teams with players no one had ranked anywhere and won…

9. Dave says:

I agree with the rankings, Except Northern should be swap with Beecher… And Grand Blanc Should be #4 and Hamady should be #5, Hamady is a great team but i think Grand Blanc is a better team. GB played C/A their 1st game and hung with them and loss by 10, Grand Blanc is a good team with talent. They play Carman once again at Carman Jan. 5th and i think GB will win this one with the talent of Senior captain Patrick Haggin, Senior Marcus Tucker, Senior Luke Ford, Junior Brandon Hill, Junior Nate Sauvola, and Sophomore guard and a top player in Michigan in 2012 Jordan Fields. Also a great coach of Chris Belcher.

10. Coach says:

So Hamady is Number because they be an alright Swa team I would Like to see them match up against CA or Powers and Im pretty sure they wouldnt win either game

11. Coach D says:

You said Burton-Bentley is ranked #10 in the latest AP poll. Where can the AP poll be found? I thought it didn’t come out until next week.

12. One more thing…we keep comparing like opponents (Flushing to CA and Northern, GB to CA, etc.), yet we all know that logic is flawed. The reason being is simply that teams match up differently with different teams. For example, a team with better outside shooters matches up better against a zone team than one without. So, the same zone team can play several different opponents with different levels of success just based on that. Think about it this way; with that logic being used, the much-maligned University of Michigan squad (getting killed on this site almost daily) must be better or either Kansas is terrible because they only beat a team that lost to a TERRIBLE Utah team by 11. You have no one using that logic for Kansas being ranked #25 instead of #1 because it just doesn’t work.

• Texan A & M- Corpus Christi must be better than Michigan State because they only lost to Texas by 6, while State didn’t. Or maybe that means that Texas (#2 in the country) isn’t that good? See the foolishness in either argument? Just to add to my earlier point. What matters are W’s, not how they look.

13. G Mill says:

The kids at Northern have talent BUT their coaching short comings did not just start!! They obviously have left alot to be desired and if you saw there work ethic(lack of) you would see it ranges WELL past 6 games this year… i think they will start to get it as time goes.. The true key to that team is Aundre Gibson

• Exactly…coaching starts at a far earlier level than the varsity one and that is the biggest shortcoming in Flint right now. The elementary and middle school programs have been replaced by AAU teams pilfering all of the talent and playing in the same leagues as the schools. These kids get to the varsity level and don’t know terms like “jump to the ball”, strong-side or weak-side, unable to shoot left hand layups, etc.

14. Williford says:

I think our only dilemma here is the opinions conflicting with each other.
    Although, I would like to see the list of players expand to 10.
    Mine would be as follows. (City of Flint, and surrounding areas.)

1. Glenn Cosey
    2. PLP
    3. Pat O’Brien
    4. Jay Magee
    5. Roy Jackson
    6. Jojuan Graham
    7. Travon Mitchell
    8. Shaq Smith
    9. Dominez Burnett
    10. Bill Sams

I like to stay in the City when I pick my guys because that’s what I’m used to.

15. eye witness says:

You guys are real funny, If you are talking about talent I would say C-A, Powers, Hamady, and then maybe Northen, you guys talk about talent you have only one player ranked in the top ten, and thats a small point guard, It sounds like it is personal with you guys and thats not what coaching is all about. Bobby Knight couldnt win at Texas Tech like he won at Ind. By the way I missed Roy Williams when he came to town recruiting, and Tom Izzo . Well Tom just stopped at Powers and offered PLP. Correct me if I’m wrong Northern finished in the District Final the last two seasons. But, I will say this to the end, if the team wins its the team, if they loose it’s the coach.

16. eye witness says:

Oh yea It Aint Right what was your record again, and who have you coached. I think with your opinion of coaches I know you have a proven record, and knows what it takes to be a good coach no great coach. And I’m not a fan of Tucker but I do understand it’s more than just X and O’s.

• It Ain't Right says:

Actually I am a coach in the Flint area buddy and was always a player in the area back in the day. Who have you coached? How many coaches clinics have you attended? Out of curiosity why didn’t you say Northwestern has more talent than Northern in your last post? You were telling me how much more superior they were to Northern the other day in talent… Players win games and coaches lose them, but teams/players take on the personality of their coach, don’t forget that..

17. Williford says:

Northern has PLENTY of talent, sir.
    Their roster is full of talent, and potential.
    It’s just a matter of whether the coach utilizes it or not.

• There is talent at Northern, but it is LARGELY tied into what you just said, that is potential. Even their second best player in my opinion is playing a position he has NEVER played before (Williams-Taylor). Potential takes time to develop…we should pick this discussion back up in about a month…

18. John says:

1 PLP
    2 Glenn Cosey
    3 Pat O’Brien
    4 Jojuan Graham
    5 Jay Magee
    6 Travon Mitchell
    7 Shaq Smith
    8 Dominez Burnett
    9 Roy Jackson
    10 Bill Sams
    Looks a lot better now Williford

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

BILL SAMS SHOULD NOT BE ON ANY LIST….GOT 2 HAV DRE PARKS SOMEWHERE…NO!!!DEMARCO SANDERS???JOJUAN #4 WOW!!!! TOP 3 I AGREE IN ANY ORDER..I WOULD PUT BURNETT OR MITCHELL #4 #6 DEMARCO #7 JAY #8 SHAQ #9 DRE PARKS #10 JACKSON….

19. Williford says:

I like Arthur Hill’s Maurice Jones as well.
    Nice list though.

Do you have ties to Flint SWA?

20. eye witness says:

I think i did talk about NW, Mitchell is a very good athlete, and Jalan and Parks are two of the best scorers in the area, who on Northen’s team brings that to the table. And NW, may have a better team than Northern just in those three players . See at the High School level I think you can win a lot of games with three very good players. Help me understand who on Northern’s team has done what those three have done for there team. I’m not going to say have a better coach but they do have three very good players.

21. eye witness says:

P.S. I’m very glad you are an accomplished coach and player in the area. I don’t play or coach I’m just a fan of the game. I’m sure your team will be playing for a state championship in March. I’ve never been to a coaches clinic and not interested in going. I’m not a coach just a fan. But, I do know that coaching is more than just someone on the sideline calling plays. Maybe you can help some of these division one players get into school.

22. John says:

It is what it is one serious question so u saying Jojuan shouldnt be on the List period the kid averages 21

23. John says:

No But He can play him and Dominez they both belong on the List regardless right or wrong?

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

DONT GET ME WRONG…SAMS CAN PLAY..BUT AS OF RIGHT NOW HES NOT TOP 10…

• Williford says:

Dominez is the leading scorer. Yet is in Class C. Should he be on a Class A team, and leading the area in points, then he should be #1 on that list.

Again, these lists are opinions. Probably based more so on potential at the next level, than where they are from.

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

WILLIFORD,,I AGREE THAT DOMINEZ SHOULD NOT BE TOP 3 CUZ HE PLAY CLASS C..BUT I FEEL THAT JOJUAN OR SAMS SHOULD NOT BE TOP 10…OK!!!I GET HE #3 SCORER BUT ALL THE SHOTS HE TAKES HE SHOULD AVG 30 OR MORE…SAMS IN CLASS C AND HE AINT PUTTIN UP NUMBERS…IS CLASS C UNDRERATED????

• Williford says:

Jojuan Graham is the only scorer on his team. Nobody else can do it like he does it on his team.
        Bill Sams has a scholarship already. I’m not sure why he isn’t putting anything up yet.

24. Williford says:

& Bills Sams is an excellent player, whom of which is highly underrated.

25. John says:

Ok Than the best scorers that i seen play so far this season no order
    Cosey
    Sanders
    O’Brien
    Graham
    Magee
    Parks
    Bernett
    Mitchell
    Smith

26. Coach1 says:

“It is what it is” Knows nothing bout basketball….well atleast around here..all he do is criticizes the players…. they play their heart out every game then for u to tlk negative bout them…wrong

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

COACH 1…HOW IS IT WRONG 2 VOICE MY OPINION…AINT THIS WHAT THIS SITE ABOUT..”CONVERSATION” IF U DONT LIKE WHAT I HAV 2 SAY VOICE YO OPINION IM GOING 2 SAY MINE AND I DONT CARE WHO DONT LIKE WHAT I SAY…ITS MY OPINION..

27. JeFF says:

I agree with Coach1 all the way

28. eye witness says:

It Is What it Is, someone else has an opinion about you, and what you believe. I don’t care about your opinion I just wanted to know who you have coached. I also asked what school, or AAU program, you said your a long time coach and player who’s on your resume. I know you have some accomplishments because you have a lot of opinions about players, and coaches.

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

EYE WITNESS,,FIRST OF ALL IM A GROWN MAN AND IF U DONT LIKE WHAT I GOT 2 SAY DONT COMMENT…I WAS ALWAYS TOLD THAT OPINIONS IS LIKE ASSHOLES EVERYBODY HAS ONE…JUS CUZ U SUGAR COAT YO OPINION THATS U..AROUND HERE WE CALL THEM “COWARDS”OH YEAH!!!!YO NAME “eye witness” TELLS ME ALOT ABOUT YOU…DO U WORK 4 COACH TUCKER???LOL

• It Ain't Right says:

haha eye witness…. why do you ask everybody who have they coached when you have never coached? Is Coach Tucker married? Maybe it’s his wife, IT IS WHAT IT IS what do you think? lol

29. eye witness says:

It is what it is why can’t you answer the questions. I said nothing about Tucker I’ve moved on from that issue, you keep bringing him back up. You talk about being a coward I don’t see your real name on your head line. I’m having trouble understanding how you can bash so many people with no accomplisments. Did you understand that or was that being a coward too. Your making it personal, and that’s fine. I respected your opinion didnt agree with all of them but respected them. But I see the real person is just jealous, and maybe wants to be the coach at Northern or any other place that will give you a job. And furthermore I’m not married to Tucker, nor I’m I on his tip or a fan of his. Like I told you before i think its a lot of good coaches out there coaching and mentoring children, I just wanted you to help some of the basketball players get into school because I know with all your knowledge of the game and previous playing and coaching experience you have alot of contacts, with coaches and you know what there looking for. So I’m asking you for a favor with all that being said call some of your friends so we can keep these young men playing basketball.

30. eye witness says:

It is what it is, for the record I dont work for anyone I’m self employed, that’s why im able to attend high school basketball games, not just read sites and give opinions. Im sure those children are still looking for help.

31. […] road test against Saginaw Buena Vista and got punked by 29. They aren’t the best team in Flint like I thought they were and that’s not even debatable. How much better is Saginaw basketball than Flint once again […]