Proven otherwise: Hamady’s flameout and other storylines from Tuesday night

Posted: January 6, 2010 by Jared Field in High School

Another night at the office for Maurice Jones: The senior guard had 26 points in Arthur Hill's win over Heritage.

So is Hamady overrated? In a word: Yes. The Hawks, despite blowing out every opponent by an averge of more than 30 points this season, had their first road test against Saginaw Buena Vista and got punked by 29. They aren’t the best team in Flint like I thought they were and that’s not even debatable. How much better is Saginaw basketball than Flint once again this season? In a word: Much.

More storylines

• I wonder if Montrose senior guard William Sams wishes he was back at Grand Blanc. If he hadn’t already been reminded how bad basketball can be in the sticks, he got a healthy refresher course last night. Montrose beat Perry 39-38 despite the Rams shooting 29 percent from the floor. Sams had 15 points and 14 rebounds. What. A. Mess.
  • Maurice Jones continued his stellar play Tuesday night against Heritage. The leading candidate for Mr. Basketball scored 26 points in the Lumberjacks’ 16-point win.
  • Cameron Sanchez and LaDontae Henton combined for 45 points in Lansing Eastern’s dismantling of Lansing Waverly. Waverly was down 18 at the half and never made a game out of it.
  • One of the most underrated players in class C, Burton Bentley point guard Joey Jerisk, scored 29 points in a win over Flint International Academy (also class C).
  • When does basketball cease to be fun anymore? Well, for Mayville it was sooner and later last night against Bay City All Saints. Mayville scored a whopping two puts combined in the first and fourth quarters against BCAS and lost by 48.
  • How good is Goodrich? In as much as Flint Hamady was overrated by yours truly, is Goodrich underrated? Probably so after they shellacked Buctown last night. They are probably the deepest team in the area, that much is clear.

—  Jared Field

Comments
  1. It Ain't Right says:

Grand Blanc won an ugly game against Goodrich… If Grand Blanc and Goodrich play 10 times I think Goodrich wins 8… call me crazy, but this could be the year Goodrich finally knocks off Powers…

The last time I stuck my neck out for Goodrich against Powers, they got destroyed.

I’m hesistant, but I think you’re right. By comparison, Powers have virtually no depth. Goodrich would need Lucus and Warner to really step up against Powers. There are easy buckets to be had down low against Powers.

• Pulley says:

Hey Jared, by the way I’m not hatin, I appreciate what you do here at Greatlakeshoops. Agreed, I ought not flippantly use the bias charge – and I still believe my comment this week is flippant – I’m not above deference. Nevertheless, the conversation was fun. Thanks.

Pulley:

You don’t have to worry about offending us. We don’t take things too seriously around here.

• John Bon says:

Crazy Talk, Powers has too many threats, Goodrich is all just above average players, cept maybe 2

2. It Ain't Right says:

Yea I hear ya, Lucas and Warner are the keys… The reason why they lost to Pontiac is because Warner put up the big goose egg and the reason they destroyed Beecher is because he played extremely well i honestly think he is the difference because Patrick and Vallie are gonna get theirs regardless…