What game were you watching? LSJ calls Appling ‘fan favorite’ after Saturday’s loss

Posted: January 18, 2010 by Jared Field in High School

I get it. He’s going to Michigan State and it was a pro-MSU crowd, primarily, that packed Don Johnson Fieldhouse on Saturday night for the long-awaited matchup between Detroit Country Day and Detroit Pershing.

But for the Lansing State Journal to call Appling the “fan favorite” after Pershing’s loss is symptomatic of a little green bias.

Ray McCallum stole the show on Saturday after beating back, almost by himself, a third quarter run by Pershing. He made the three signature plays that everyone was talking about after the game. It was McCallum, not Appling, that buried the decibel meter in Lansing, in spite of what the LSJ basically called a home game for Pershing.

The LSJ also had Appling for seven assists in the game which, of course, is cooked. He had four, which might be one too many as I gave him the benefit of the doubt on one.

There’s a lot of excuse-making for Appling going on right now. He doesn’t really need it, though; he’s a great player and certainly held his own against McCallum and Country Day.

I’d even even stop short of saying McCallum had a better game. The bottom line is that McCallum led his team to the win and proved to be unstoppable at winning time.

And one last thing: Appling is a very good defender.

— Jared Field

Comments
  1. I found a video of the game saturday on youtube.

McCallum has a handle! That crowd went crazy man!

2. Gavin Raath says:

What sets everything up is the opening play of the video where McCallum commits the lazy turnover to give Pershing an easy three-point play. McCallum then walked to his frustrated teammates, pats his chest and says it’s on me. Then what followed was the absolute destruction of Pershing at the hands of McCallum. That kid has a higher gear than anyone else in the state.

3. Gavin Raath says:

I agree, Appling is a GREAT player and a great defender. No one can argue against that. In my Mr. Basketball voting I would go:

1. Maurice Jones
    2. Ray McCallum
    3. Keith Appling

After that it gets muddy, but these are the three best high school players out there.

4. KCC12 says:

Derrick Davis is also in that conversation

5. PJR says:

Gotta put Zeigler above MacCallum and Appling, in a tie with Jones. Jones Appling MacCallum are ppg fellas and get a lot of hype, and tend to feed off the other four fellas on the floor. All three of these teams would be strong teams w/ or w/o these three fellas. Even Arthur Hill has some real good talent not named Jones. So while each is important to their team, none does as much and is as important asZeigler to Mount Pleasant. Ziegler’s all around game doesn’t just pop out in ppg stats, and his stats just aren’t as easy to get as these other fellas with all that help. Just imagine you sub in Jones Appling MacCallum for Zeigler on Mount Pleasant’s team and you can see Mount Pleasant isn’t a regional finalist, not even a district champ. That’s the proper measure of the player!

My opinion:

1.) Jones
      2.) McCallum
      3.) Appling

I’ve seen all the big-timers on numerous occasions and I must say that there is a bit of a drop-off after those three. I must say I’m shocked that PJR is shilling for Zeigler, who takes plays off and is certainly a “shoot greater” type (of course maybe he has to be). I know that I will probably be in the minority with this opinion, but I’ve just never been blown away by Zeigler like I have those three. Maybe it has more to do with where he plays, but I feel like that trio is truly elite.

6. Williford says:

I agree with PJR. MacCallum seems to be hyped up. I’m not saying it isn’t deserving or anything. But Zeigler is sort of an under-the-radar guard who can seriously play.

Jones, to me, is the best point guard in the state. Hands down.

If we are being fair, there has been much more hype surrounding Appling than McCallum. I was surprised to find that many people in my section had never heard of Ray Jr.

7. KCC12 says:

Not only jones best point guard…but best player too

8. Sloc says:

Jared, Gavin… I couldn’t agree with you guys more. That was the Ray McCallum show and everyone in that building knew it, including Kalin Lucas, Draymond Green, Raymar Morgan, Mateen Cleaves and Steve Smith who I was standing right next to when Ray started putting on a show in the 3rd. They were going crazy, and Ray was doing that to THEIR recruit.

That article’s a joke… I agree with the Mr. BBall picks too… Jones is #1 right now but won’t get it cause he’s going to USC

I could see voters being down on a player that scorns Michigan or Michigan State for an out-of-state school, but what about a player like Pookie? He didn’t get an offer from either.

9. Marcellus Miller says:

After seeing Zeigler and Jones in the last week and a half, I will definitely say that Jones is ahead right now. And that is a change for me. For the future, I would pick Ziegler over all three, but right now, Jones is the cream of the crop. Although both shot a ton at the games I saw, Jones seems more in control of the situation. Granted I also agree that Ziegler has FAR LESS help than any of the rest so it is hard to judge. Ray Jr. did not play well last time I saw him, but that was last year on a terribly underacheiving team. My fav of the small guards is Appling for the future, but Jones now. Ray being “ungardable” is a stretch, but then it depends on the definition.

I’ve never seen anyone who could guard him.

11. SBell says:

Two people can guard Pookie though — Kevin Starkey and Holden Greiner turned him over in the lane, then Greiner scored the game-winning bucket on the other end, two Julys ago in Saginaw.