Showdown: Will the ‘rivalry’ be enough to keep UM/MSU game close?

Posted: January 26, 2010 by Jared Field in College

We'll win by at least this many.

Probably not.

Why? Because it’s not really a rivalry.  (Although, this guy seems to think so.)

Coming into tonight’s matchup between Michigan State and Michigan at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, I was tempted to call for a down-to-the-wire game with MSU winning in the final minute. After all, it’s a road game for the Spartans and, people tell me, a rivalry game.

Again, it’s not really a rivlary game since Michigan State has had a better basketball program for, oh I don’t know, like a decade and a half.

Even so, I’ll watch. It is a matchup between the state’s two most prominent schools and, I might add, it will be interesting to see how Manny Harris responds after being suspended for the Purdue game for violating team rules.

Prediction: MSU by 10.

The Spartans have nearly as much talent on their bench as Michigan has in its starting lineup. Even so, if Deshawn Sims and Manny Harris  have solid games, Michigan can keep it relatively close.

Look for MSU sophomore forward Draymond Green to have a big game against UM’s hapless frontline.

— Jared Field

Comments
  1. neutralObserver says:

That “hapless frontline” did ok against UConn’s frontline that is much better than MSU’s.

So is your argument that they’re not hapless, or that they weren’t hapless once?

• neutralObserver says:

Just saying they did fine against one of the bigger frontlines in the country, their success (or lack of it) isn’t centered around dominant frontline play, aside from Sims

My point is that MSU’s relative deficiency, Green aside, is in the post. That really won’t be a disadvantage against for them against UM.

The only way Michigan wins is by shooting the lights out from 3-point range. They haven’t done much of that this year, though.

3. Jason says:

Remember when you picked Wisconsin to win the Big Ten and didn’t even have MSU second? that was a good pick!

You must be talking about Andrew. Well, I agreed with him at the time, if only because MSU doesn’t typically win their conference.

That being said, did either of those two teams look very good last night? I sure didn’t think so.

Can anyone shoot the ball for either team?

4. Cameron says:

Looks like your first prediction with state winning last minute was right, but beyond that not much else. Michigan let them off the hook.

I’m surprised that it was that close. Michigan is as bad as I thought they were, though I was impressed by their defensive effort. MSU really disappointed me. They looked very average last night.