‘If you want it, go get it’: Saginaw’s Lou Dawkins unplugged

Posted: February 12, 2010 by Jared Field in High School

Saginaw High Coach Lou Dawkins, one of the top high school coaches in the midwest, gets it. For too long I’ve watched as some coaches have allowed a lack of discipline to destroy once-proud programs. That’s not going to happen on Dawkins’ watch.

ABC 12’s Ryan Slocum, a friend to basketball in Mid-Michigan, has basically had unlimited access to The High this season and filed this report earlier this week: Watch the video.

This is coaching 101 on how to handle a star player who’s not setting a good example.

And for anyone in Saginaw who’s upset by some of the foul language he employs: GET A CLUE.

Comments
  1. Hmmm…that’s certainly one way to do it.

This is what division one basketball players have to deal with every practice.

Coddling talented players never gets positive results.

3. Pulley says:

Reminscent of Leo “Smokey” Boyd, long-time head coach of Nouvel CC’s football team. Tough and relatively abusive, but his players would kill for the guy – they respected him and their selves, and his teams won, many times. Tough love, man.

Reminds me of Steve Schmidt, Mott’s basketball coach. You wouldn’t believe some of the stuff that will get you benched or suspended over there. It’s tough love, you’re right.

There’s a great story about this kid at Mott who got a scholarship to play for Huggins at Cincy back when it was a national program.

Before his last game at Mott, which just happened to be the national title game, he embarrassed the team in public and Schmidt suspended him for the title game.

They lost the national championship, of course, but I know Schmidt doesn’t regret it nor does Alonzo Evans. That’s an invaluable life lesson along the lines of “I don’t care who you are.”

Some of these kids may never make a dime off of basketball, but with the right coach they’ll be able to walk a line in life.

4. Gavin Raath says:

Most players who read this don’t have coaches that have the stones to gut-check their players the way Lou does. Most coaches also haven’t won back-to-back state titles in A.

5. Hoopsguru says:

It was not as bad as I thought it would have been. However, I do not think it needed to be aired on the local news. But then again – I could just be getting a bit tired of how much news coverage Channel 12 gives The High and The Hill.

• It Ain't Right says:

What’s wrong wit how much tick they get on the news? They have the best rival and usually the best teams…. They deserve everything they get.

• They have certainly been at the top of the standings in recent years. However, does that mean Saginaw is having a down year with a 9-6 record? Sure, their schedule has been tough, but how much has been said about there “good to great” players? Shouldn’t that mean victories? It certainly couldn’t be coaching right?

The city of Flint is desperate for a coach with even half of what Dawkins brings to the table with respect to coaching.

In Flint, this scenario would probably play out more like this: “If you’re late twice, I will make you sit for the first two minutes of the first quarter!”

I think those Saginaw kids both fear and respect Coach Dawkins. I think that’s healthy.

And so he said a couple naughty words…ring-a-ding-ding. He taught those kids a life lesson. I’d say it was well worth it.

• Like I said, that’s certainly one way to do it. To each his/her own…

6. It Ain't Right says:

no it’s def not coaching Marcellus… For one the guy’s son didn’t even die a year ago and anyone who can coach after I have mad respect for.. even tho I did before. The guy has won two state titles and like you said they play a tough schedule and his team isn’t has in good in years past.