Trash-talking the media? There’s a first time for everything

Posted: February 21, 2010 by Jared Field in College

PORT HURON, Michigan — I’ve been covering basketball in Mid-Michigan for five years now, but with yesterday’s Mott Community College victory over St. Clair in Port Huron came a first for me: I got trash-talked during the game.

Late in the game, one that Mott was on its way to wrapping up, St. Clair freshman Alan Sharp (who played at Flint Northern and Flint Carman-Ainsworth) decided he would call me out. (The game wasn’t over, so I was a little surprised he was more concerned about me than his opponent.)

Apparently Sharp heard through his teammate Terrance Keaton (a former AAU player of mine) that I didn’t think he was being recruited to play division one, even though an assistant from the University of Toledo attended a recent practice at St. Clair. The truth is, that coach came to watch sophomore Kieon Arkwright. Former Flint C-A standout has had a stellar season for St. Clair and is averaging nearly 18 points per game.

I broker in truth, so let me just break this down for you:

1.) D-1 coaches don’t typically waste too much time on JUCO freshmen — letters and that’s about all. You have to be really good and a qualifier or elite (like Jeremie Simmons) to garner much interest as a freshman. So when someone tells me that Alan Sharp is getting recruited D-1, I call BS. That, of course, is nothing against Alan Sharpe. I’d just rather enjoy telling the truth. There’s not enough of that to go around in basketball circles.

2.) Alan Sharp is about 6-1 and averages 4.4 points per game (he’s actually better than that, but it is what it is) and is the 8th leading scorer on his team. As a prospect, he’s a point guard who has an assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.7 to 1.1 — not terrible, but certainly not good for a PG prospect.

3.) Finally, Sharp expressed (again, during the game) to me his annoyance with my insistence that Mott’s freshman starting point guard Demetrius Miller (Flint Central) is on a track to D-1. I’m certainly not the only one who thinks this, but let’s consider the following: He’s the starting point guard on the no. 2-ranked JUCO team in the country; he was the City Series scoring champion as a senior; he led his team to two wins over St. Clair by an average of 14 points; he averages nine points per game; he has an assist-to-turnover ratio of 3.2 to 1.4; he is leading his team in steals at 2.5; he plays for a program with a track record of sending players to division one — at least 10 in the just the past four years.

What’s more of a stretch?

Here’s the bottom line: Nine out of every 10 players I talk to have no earthly clue how good a player, especially a guard, has to be to play D-1. Sharp is the quickest player on his team and a nightmare in a game of one-on-one, but how does he compare to the best player to come out of St. Clair in five years, Thad McFadden? He was a thoroughbred scoring guard and he went to division II Fairmont State.

Get reality-based. Talk less and work more. It’s a good lesson for all of us.

— Jared Field

Comments
  1. Pulley says:

Who wrote this report?

It was me.

I don’t have any issues with Alan Sharp. I do, however, think that there’s a lesson to be learned here.

• PJR says:

JuCo is the first time many players who where a big fish in a small pond get out into a slightly bigger pond, with a lotta fish as big or bigger. The D1 pond is a whole lot bigger, where a once big fish can look like a whole lotta minnows! Minnows gotta be working at staying alive and growing!

3. Marcellus Miller says:

I am actually a supporter of Alan’s, but not in this situation. First of all, it is NEVER an athlete’s job to argue with the media. In fact, unless that media is directly disrespecting your family, you probably shouldn’t even really care that much. Second, it is especially bad to try to address something DURING A GAME! Stay focused young man! Third, whether or not a D-1 program is seeking a player will be more than evident in due time so the argument is pretty moot. I believe a good example was last year with Tom Stanton of Clarkston. Many people thought he may not have the raw ability to play D-1, but many programs also look at potential which was the case with him. As a sports writer myself, I disagreed with my colleague about him and many others over the years. Lastly, one thing that we don’t disagree on is that most kids have no idea what D-1 coaches are really looking for. It’s unfortunate, because a better understanding would make kids take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror and not everyone around them.

• PJR says:

Good Post Marcellus! Button up and put the energy into Hard Work! Hard Work is the only thing that will get you as far as you can go!!

4. A Coggins says:

This is really no surprise. Sharp was running his mouth the first time these schools played saying Mott couldn’t dribble, penetrate, or shoot – all they could do was dunk. (Of course, this was after Anderson busted the backboard) Funny thing to say about a team ranked in the top 10 of the country at the time, and now #2. I believe Mott beat them by 20 that night…oh well, everybody is entitled to their opinion no matter how stupid they sound…

• Keep it 100 says:

Ok but what you guys fail to realize is that St.Clair is also ranked high in the country too. They are currently ranked #9 in the nation. I cant see how Demitrius Miller and alan sharp can be into a comparison. Mott has been known to be a JUCO powerhouse for many years now but not St.Clair. Arkwright and Sharp is putting their St.Clair on the map with their stellar play. And did anyone who went to the second game see what Arkwright and sharp did to motts guards? Yes All of them….

• I think McFadden had a little to do with them being on the map and getting the players that they have now…

Both McFaddens were pretty good there. And they have a veteran coach who knows what he’s doing.

• a coggins says:

…and they still lost! That’s the point – Sharp needs to learn to WIN THE GAME FIRST, then run your mouth if you so choose. He has not beat MCC once yet, so he needs to shut the he** up! This would be like Zack Novack calling out Kalin Lucas. Shouldn’t you actually accomplish something first?

• Alan sharp says:

Mr. Coggins i totally agree with you but i think we all are taking this a little to serious and the argument wasnt mott vs st.clair it was meechie being better then alan. i was defending myself.

• Marcellus Miller says:

Alan, you are my boy so let me impart one thing to you concerning this. Let all of us media-types and bloggers and posters argue/discuss stuff like this. You just make your case out there on the court. For all I have heard, you did just that during the contest the other night. The truth will play itself out…trust me man.

5. G Mill says:

So many kids have NO IDEA!! I played D1 and didnt know what i was getting into! I had to learn the hard work it took to play on that level therefor basically giving away a year! If they really know they would start now… and alot of it is THE COACHES fault!! They should know how to prepare the kids but yet in still the kids have to be receptive and ready…

• PJR says:

Good point about coaching preparing their top talent kids for the rigors of D1 ball or any college ball. Now one odd thing I find is that many high school coaches, due to jealousies or whatever, tend to downplay their top talent as it relates to future college ball. They see this as a distraction as opposed to a motivator. That’s a mistake! When you’re the big man on campus in high school and you think everything revolves around you, you don’t work as hard in athletic or academics! I’ve always thought it’s good to be a dream or two ahead, a good middle school player wants to play high school, and good high school player wants to play college, a good college player wants to play pro. Big dreams provide the inspiration to take care of business in the class or on the court!

6. JucoJunkie says:

I follow both teams closely and enjoy watching them play. Coach Vos has a good program at SC4, but they’re still a notch or two below Mott. Coach Schmidt has built the Mott program into a perennial power on the national scene and is able to recruit players that SC4 can’t. The college administration at SC4 doesn’t support their program like Mott does, as evidenced by the old gym they have to use for games. But I enjoy going to both teams’ games and cheering for them. Good luck to both teams in the upcoming playoffs. Watch out for Oakland and Henry Ford!

7. Williford says:

I just don’t see how a person is worried about running his mouth when his TEAM lost. Sharp, you’re saying that is wasn’t about Mott versus St. Clair Shores, but basketball is about the TEAM, not Sharp vs Meechie. Get your head in there man. Your team lost, to the better team at that. There is no room for you to talk, sir.

8. Murph says:

I agree Who cares what Jared thinks. He doesn’t give schollarships so who cares what he thinks. Play ball.

9. Bluebufoon says:

Great info and excellent reporting. I love this site.