Mott downs Glen Oaks 77-73 to claim MCCAA state title

Posted: February 27, 2010 by Jared Field in College

CENTREVILLE, Michigan — The Mott Community College men’s basketball team took down a hard charging Glen Oaks team 77-73 to win the MCCAA state championship on Saturday at Glen Oaks.

The Bears led by nine at the half and by as many as 14 in the second half before a late Vikings run in the final three minutes.

The Bears (27-2) now prepare for the District 9 regional championship game next weekend. The Bears will take on the winner of Kirtland and Delta.

Mott was led by the energy of freshman forward Mike Brigham, who scored 14 points with nine rebounds.

Comments
  1. PJR says:

The final score is a lot closer than a lot of people would have given Glen Oaks CC credit for. Just shows how balanced the whole MCCAA Juco League is, both Eastern and Western Conferences!

2. JucoJunkie says:

Glen Oaks was ranked in the top 10 nationally, so it shouldn’t be a surprise that it was a good game. But the home court advantage means a lot, so Mott will have that advantage working for them next weekend as well.

I wasn’t what I would call a “good game” until the final 3-4 minutes. Mott led by double-figures for nearly the entire second half.

Glen Oaks, like St. Clair last weekend against Mott, didn’t quit and for that I give them credit.

3. spencer says:

the refs were terrible, they had been with Mott for all of their national championships, the last few calls were the worst i’ve ever seen. Glen Oaks guards weren’t playing like they do, Javaughn Manuel has a 25point average or around there, Devan Crain usually hits nearly all of his threes (he hadn’t ate in 24hours). And a home advantage? there was as many Mott fans as gocc. And whos to say the fans won’t be at Flint next time they play. I’m not excusing how they played because they played terrible until the last few minutes. If they play to their potential they will win. The players aren’t down that they lost because they know they can win now, they are upset about losing the state title though.

Glen Oaks won’t play Mott in Flint, Spencer.

Mott was up by 14-16 points in the second half, so please don’t bring up officiating. I was really impressed by Glen Oaks in the final 3-4 minutes because I’ve seen teams give up in big games when they get down that many points. Heck, I saw Mott do that once this year.

Glen Oaks is better than I had anticipated, but the bottom line is that they lost on their home floor to a better, and much younger, team.

For Glen Oaks to be considered at Mott’s level, they are going to need to beef up their schedule. I’ve covered Mott for four seasons and I can count on one fist how many D-3 or NAIA JV squads they’ve played: ZERO.

Glen Oaks got six wins versus JV squads this season alone. Meanwhile Mott is scheduling Monroe, Sinclair, Owens and South Suburban. That makes a difference.

• Foul distribution was nearly identical. And it’s not like calls didn’t go against Mott down the stretch — two charges on Bobby Lewis late, one of which was pretty questionable, gave Glen Oaks two extra possessions in the final two minutes.

4. fatman says:

Prior to this season, how many tourneys had been played at Mott? I can remember back to back when I was attending juco games. Jared, you are the biggest Mott homer I have ever read. You give Glen Oaks credit for not giving up. Geez, I’m sure that they really appreciate that and I know that all other teams in the MCCAA have no fear of playing Mott. They look forward to it as Mott is the standard bearer, the Duke of the MCCAA.

• A Coggins says:

“Schmidt is a great coach and gets better players than anyone else in the league and trust me that makes it a whole lot easier to win.”

Well thank you, Captain Obvious! OF COURSE THAT MAKES IT EASIER TO WIN! That is called “running a solid program” and “recruiting.” Don’t make it sound like that have it easier because they get better players – Schmidt has to work for every player he gets and puts them through the ringer each year. Players who come to Mott leave as better players – Doug Anderson is a great example. He has gone from a “highlight freak” to a damn good “basketball player.”

Don’t knock Schmidt and Mott for being one of the best at what they do. Other teams need to try and step up. As Coach Schmidt says – “NO EXCUSES!”

I’d appreciate the compliment, but I’m pretty sure I’m the only Mott homer you’ve ever read.

• He gave them credit for not giving up because they played pretty poorly for about 32 minutes of the game. They played well at the beginning and the end, that’s really it. So yeah, giving them credit for shaking off their malaise and making a run late is a compliment. They’d have gotten a better compliment if they played better the majority of the game.

5. bob says:

HFCC back in the district playoffs