Game notes: Buctown back on the March and the shame of fandom

Posted: March 13, 2010 by Jared Field in High School

BURTON, Michigan — Eight losses? More like eight good practices.

For Flint Beecher’s coach Mike Williams, the regular season is a dress rehearsal for the big production: The MHSAA class C tournament.

Here’s what he told the Flint Journal after Friday night’s thrilling 46-45 win over rival Flint Hamady:

“We use the regular season as preparation for the tournament,” said Williams. “Nobody remembers our record once we get into the tournament.”

Nope. I’ve already forgotten. This, after all, is Beecher. Williams’ program just wins. It doesn’t really matter who’s wearing the uniform — the Bucs get wins in big games. Color me impressed.

Game notes

— I’d be remiss were I to gloss over what I believe is the worst-case of bad behavior I’ve ever seen at a basketball game, and by an adult no less. No more than 30 seconds after Hamady had lost, in dramatic fashion, its biggest game of the year, a Hamady fan came charging at the team while it was in the hallway in front of the locker rooms. He entered screaming at the team about how they suck, choked and calling them losers. He did the same to the coaching staff. I heard one assistant coach for Hamady respond with “I didn’t choke.” As a basketball fan (and a man, for that matter), I was appalled that his response was in defense of himself and not the team. You don’t belong in coaching, brother. Go find something else to do with your time. And to that fan I have only this: You should be ashamed.

— This was the best, most competitive basketball game I’ve seen all season. Both teams take defense serious — dead serious. I love Hamady’s freshman stopper Jomontae Wheeler. This kid is going to be a defensive force in the backcourt for Hamady for three years. But make no mistake, Buctown won this game with their pressure. Down the stretch, Buctown forced numerous turnovers and made Hamady pay in transition.

— I’ve seen most of the heralded freshmen in Michigan this season (Felder, Watts, Lewis, Tisdale, Haney, Tucker, etc.) and I think Buctown’s Monte’ Morris belongs near the top of the list with Charles Tucker and Steve Haney. Morris is so poised and has the quickest release I think I’ve seen for a young player. He finished with 15 points in the biggest game of his career. The the second biggest game of his career, earlier this season against Saginaw Buena Vista, he scored 29.

— I heard a couple Hamady fans bagging on Dominez Burnett, Hamady’s top player, after the game. He didn’t have his best game and I’m sure he’d tell you that. But who exactly are you to scoff at eight points and 16 rebounds?

— And what is in the water in Buctown? For years I’ve watched every single team coached by Mike Williams have the same characteristic: Finishing in transition.

Comments
  1. greg johnson says:

Speaking to Hamady fans, they are some of the worst in the entire area! Was at the last Goodrich v. Hamady game and one fan was escorted out of the gym. Come to find out he is the 8th grade coach. In my opinion there should have been a couple more tossed for their behavior. Over all parents and fans conduct at games has really gone south. They honestly feel like they have a right to act any way they want just because they payed their $5. Wish referees would dump more obnoxious fans.

• Yeah, I was at that Goodrich-Hamady game. The guy who was ejected (and the two guys sitting next to him for that matter) were louts and absolutely needed to go. It probably didn’t help ease the situation when one of the refs was joking around with a couple Goodrich staff members in plain view as the man was being escorted out though.

• greg johnson says:

I didn’t catch that, but I agree that the other two close to him could have been sent too.

• 1hshoopfan says:

I saw the ref, he was talking to Joe Ragnone who is an assignor and evaluator of officials. He doesn’t work for Goodrich. May have looked bad if you didn’t know who the guy was.

I don’t think I’ve ever been more disgusted in my life. I couldn’t believe my ears. This was an adult man and, I’m certain, a father. Scary stuff.

3. greg johnson says:

It’s really sad! Not sure why people take the liberty to act and speak as they please without regard for others. It’s a trend in high school sports that needs to change quickly.

4. Marcellus Miller says:

Unfortunately, I know all too well what you mean. After Northern’s loss to NW, a father/fan came to right behind the bench yelling to his son not to get up and shake hands with the opponent, then yelling at the coaching staff for his son not playing more. All the while his son is in tears realizing he just played his last game as a Viking. Thankfully, the young knew enough to follow the instruction of his coaches and get up to congratulate the opposing team. However, the behavior was deplorable and it has been like that every game this year, win or loss. Even when the Vikings beat Powers, parents pitched a fit about playing time and coaching…it was simply the WORST collective season I have been a part of and it had very little to do with losing 10 games. Parents/fans certainly rub off and influence kids and its ridiculous not to think so. Well, if everyone has a better solution, get out there and volunteer your time with a school. Then your opinion may count for something…

• Man … I saw that going on last night. Couldn’t believe you had to deal with that seconds after a game ended. Sadly, I’ve seen it a lot this season — I stand at the baseline most games, and there is virtually always a parent that seeks me out to complain about coaching/playing time, and generally it is about a player who is not as good as the player in front of him.

• Marcellus Miller says:

Yeah, it is most unfortunate for the kids who have to try to toe the line between their coaches and their parents. It just shouldn’t have to be that way. One parent asked, “why does he get to play all the minutes?” My answer at that point was silence because after a tough loss was not the time. I just shook my head in disgust. The true answer though is just “because he is better.” That’s all…

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

WOW!!!WAS IT A TIGHT GAME OR DID NORTHERN LOSS BY 15PTS???IF MY SON WAS ON THAT TEAM AND IT WAS HIS LAST GAME AND THE COACH DIDNT LET HIM PLAY…YOU DAMM RIGHT IM GOING 2 HAV SOMETHING 2 SAY 2 THE COACH AND I WOULDNT CARE WHO HEAR ME…THATS BS…PEOPLE ON HERE “great lakes hoops” “JUS SOFT”

• Marcellus Miller says:

Well, it was a tight game throughout vacillating from 8-12 most of the game after the crucial 2nd quarter where they outscored Northern 20-5…oh yeah, it was in that quarter where the parent in question’s son was in the game for 6 of the 8 minutes, but that’s neither hear nor there. The fact remains that is you would’ve responded the same way, then you my friend are a part of the problem. “Soft?” Well, I guess that’s your opinion. The funny thing is that nobody on here mentioned anything about the parent’s son playing his last game…

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

YOU SAID MM All the while his son is in tears realizing he just played his last game as a Viking.

• Marcellus Miller says:

Very true….was only looking at the post your reply was directly under. My fault on that one…the rest stands as written.

• prep fan says:

That is why coach’s coach. and parents think they are the coach. all of us parents need to grow up and teach the kids that the coach is in charge not us. Our kids in life are going to have bad things happen. we must show them how to deal with them. Going after a coach for what he/she does just teach,s them to have someone to blame. We re we at practice all week to witness if “Joe” put in the work ? Did “sally” have trouble in class she did not tell us about? They just might already have learned “blame someone else” Do not leave it up to the schools and coach’s to raise. If the last high school our kids play in is the biggest problem they ever face thank God. They will need to learn from the early sit backs.

5. Ty Williams says:

The problem with these parents is that the parents are trying to live their dreams through their kids. They think about the kid being a high school star and top college prospect when the kid is probably just a very average player that can make a wide open layup and shoot the pull up jumper 45% of the time. It is really sad because the sport was developed to build character, teamworking skills, and morals that would transcend to the real world. The kids just need to enjoy the time playing the sport and realize that only 3 in 100 kids go on to play at the D1, D2, and D3 levels.

6. prepfan says:

To many “adults think they are still part of the game and act like they belong in the game. Sad when the kids have to raise the “adults”. NOTE to “adults” you want to be part of the game then become a ref. otherwise sit in the stands and act like an adult!! We all need to teach the youth of today. Remember it is just a high school GAME.

I couldn’t have said it better myself. Right on.

• Marcellus Miller says:

Amen…

• IT IS WHAT IT IS says:

I WAS AT THE GAME,,BUT I DIDNT SEE WHAT HAPPEN AFTER THE GAME..BUT HAMADY WAS NOT PERPARED FOR THAT BIG GAME AND THAT STARTS WIT THE COACH..FIRST,,HAMADY “WALKED”ON THE COURT NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE…THE TEAM LOOKED LOST 2 ME OR SHOULD I SAY SCARED AND AGAIN THAT STARTS WIT THE COACH AND THEN AT HALFTIME HAMADY CAME OUT OF THE LOCKER ROOM WIT 40sec LEFT ON THE CLOCK NO WARM UP BUT BEECHER CAME OUT AT 5min AND WAS NICE AND WARMED UP…SO IF I HAD A SON ON THAT TEAM I WOULD HAV HAD SOMETHING 2 SAY CUZ THEY DID CHOKE..I READ HAMADY THIS,,HAMADY THAT AND I GO TO A GAME AND I BE LIKE “WOW” WHAT DOES THESE PEOPLE SEE IN HAMADY…MAYBE I SOULD GO SEE THEM PLAY BYRON OR BENDLE…LOL!!!

7. muthguy1 says:

Wow, it is.

These are kids’ games in the end. They are not professional athletes. The best thing you are doing is teaching the kids disrespect for authority. (The irony is deliberate.) If you know so much more, really, why don’t you learn to coach and volunteer your time.

8. Marcellus Miller says:

Beecher moves on to regional final vs. Hanover-Horton with a big win tonight against Albion. Antuan Burks had 17, D’Marius Houston 15, and Monte Morris 11. Justin Edmonds led Albion with 20. The game was never really in doubt.