Ray Day: Country Day slams Muskegon Heights in state B semis

Posted: March 26, 2010 by Jared Field in High School

EAST LANSING, Michigan — It was a miraculous uprising.

In the second half of Detroit Country Day’s 72-47  win over Muskegon Heights, Ray McCallum, appearing injured, sat motionless on the Breslin Center floor for five seconds.

As it turned out, it was the time needed for the Yellow Jackets to get possession of the ball just more than 50 feet from the idle superstar. Once that was accomplished, the senior All-American-turned-sandbagger hopped up on his feet, received a pass and slammed home two of his game-high 22 points.

Antics.

“I actually did get elbowed, but when I saw Kenny (Knight) get it the ball I knew I could get ’em back,” said McCallum, who also pulled down eight rebounds and dished out six assists.

Junior big man Amir Williams was the only other Yellow Jacket in double-figures with 11 points and 16 boards.

Muskegon Heights was outclassed from the opening tip. They simply couldn’t match DCD’s size down low and skill in the backcourt. And when they had opportunities to score, they typically came up empty. The Heights shot 24% from the field in the game and 42% from the foul line.

Jamil Thornton scored a team-high 22 points with seven rebounds for Heights.

DCD will play the winner of Richland Gull Lake and Lansing Sexton.

Editor’s note: UCLA head coach Ben Howland was in attendance to watch McCallum, who remains uncommitted. The conventional wisdom is that the longer he takes to decide, the more likely he is to play for his father at the University of Detroit.

Comments
  1. a coggins says:

I know it is subjective, and I think Appling is a great player…I am still stunned Ray did not win Mr. Basketball. Oh well…like I said, nothing more than my opinion…

Many coaches don’t like DCD. That’s not Ray’s fault, of course. But they do hold it against him.

• PJR says:

It’s DCD’s cheat to beat Coach Keener they can’t stand most. As for DCD well it’s not really a high school program rather a mini college program.

That said, I’m not surprised Ray McCallum didn’t win. DCD has always been less than the sum of the parts. McCallum is a solid personal stat generator, but his record as PG leader is one of underachievement any way you slice it! HOW can DCD not win the State Title in Class B yet every year going away with a roster full of D1ers? When you’re job is PG, and you’re Job #1 is making more than the sum of the parts, even at the expense of your own personal stats, and you end up with great personal stats but a team that loses critical games time and again, that on you as PG! No getting away from it! You want to play on an illegally recruited team with all D1 players so you win every game? That’s the benchmark? Well than you can’t be losing any, let alone a lot!!

2. Gavin Raath says:

I can’t complain with Keith, and in truth I thought Maurice Jones deserved it more, but the voting disparity is what bothers me. There is no way he should have won in a landslide in a season with so many great seniors. Truly, it’s pathetic on the part of the BCAM.

3. Gavin Raath says:

And by the way, I love the antics. Ray puts on a show everytime.

4. Marcellus Miller says:

I also believe something has to be said for DCD’s inability to win it all more…not that I am giving Ray the blame though…