Dee – 1: Flint C-A’s Chapman signs with Prairie View

Posted: May 6, 2010 by Jared Field in High School

Wonders never cease. Just when you thought the Flint Area would fail to send a player to division one out of the class of 2010, here’s Dee.

From Mlive.com:

Now, after completing his senior season at Carman-Ainsworth, Chapman himself is moving on to the Division I level, signing with Prairie View A&M in Texas.

“It feels pretty good,” Chapman said. “I’ve always wanted to play D-I, and I knew one day the hard work would pay off. I can’t wait to get down there.”

Now I know what you’re thinking, so just stop. Dee’s going D-1 based on potential, not on his ability to play right away. It’s a high risk/high reward move for a D-1 program even at a lower level. That being said, IF Chapman can polish up his basketball skills, he’ll be fine. He already has what many players do not — a D-1 frame.

He’ll need to really work on his shooting, ballhandling and perimeter defense for D-1. He’s got the opportunity, though, which is more than I can say for most players.

Comments
  1. cinderella says:

LOL he must be walking on cuz no coach with a head on there shoulders would give this kid a d-1 scholarship.

2. Ty says:

If he has a D 1 frame, he can play at that level.

That’s ridiculous. I know a lot of guys who are tall and strong that couldn’t sniff the floor at that level.

• Ty says:

Look at a lot of the player that EMU and Oakland University get from year to year. Then he is playing in the SWAC. Some of the D 2 schools up here have better players. Prairie View is a lower level D 1, that all I was saying. I never seen the guy play, I read some of the postings on the guy. But quick question, did this guy peak kind of early and really not develop the rest of his game?

Yeah. Like Hoopsguru pointed out, he was one of the top 5 prospects in his class as a freshman. He started and already looked like a college player, physically.

3. Hoopsguru says:

He was the talk of the state in 8th / 9th grade

4. Ty says:

Do you think it was bad coaching or lack of motivation? Did this kid play AAU?

5. joe says:

yes he played for king james i am pretty sure

6. Hoopsguru says:

IMO – very early bloomer who showed a lot of potential at a young age. Not a tremendous amount of basketball improvement from middle school to now but there was athleticism / strength improvement. Played AAU for King James Shooting Stars – might have been better off playing on an AAU team that would have had him play the 3 instead of the 4/5. I kind of figured he would end up playing college football due to his build and the fact that he stopped groing at 6’6″.

7. * Big Bub* says:

CA Coaching skills is lacking tough “LOVE” after Coach Matter step down . Coach Root was not able to develope his players .I think it was a BAD move on his part with the “Talented” Players CA had the last 3 yrs…Stop blaming the young player take the sun glasses off and look at whats “REAL” Coach Root is just dont have the ‘Skills” to Coach he need to step down and forcus on AD…and bring in a “New Young Experience Coach/Player”….now can you see YET…

No one has been more critical of Bob Root as coach at C-A than yours truly. I think it has been a debacle. I think Coach Mattar would have made players out of that group, and got them to the Breslin at least once.

The basketball program has mirrored the football program in the last few years: lots of talent, few results.

8. Maximum says:

Root cut Glen Rice @Northern
    That should tell you how much of a lame he is..