Moving Days: ‘Who’s staying?’ in the Flint area is a better question

Posted: May 14, 2010 by Jared Field in High School

This time of year there’s always this: “Did you hear (insert name of player) is transferring to (insert name of school)?” Last year the talk was Buctown’s Taron Boose and Flint Southwestern’s Deparris Gordon to Saginaw High and Buctown’s Javontae Hawkins to Flint Powers. Those rumors turned out to be true.

This year, the scuttlebutt is all over the map. There are rumblings of Dominez Burnett leaving Flint Hamady for either Buctown or Northwestern; there’s talk of Dre Parks leaving Northwestern for Hamady; there’s the rumor about Denzel Watts, one of the state’s top guards in the class of 2013, leaving for Saginaw Arthur Hill to replace Maurice Jones; Quin Langston is rumored to be joining former Hawk Pierre Brackett at Flint Powers; and WOTS is that Powers junior guard Vince Adams may transfer to either Grand Blanc or Flint Carman-Ainsworth.

Take a breath.

Now, keep in mind that transferring schools is necessary in many cases — I think we all know what they are. That being said, transferring solely for basketball reasons is almost never the right thing to do. Making such a big decision based only on basketball probably means your priorities are all out of whack.

Players: Don’t be hasty, that’s all I’m saying. What’s best for another coach (or program) isn’t always best for you. Nine times out of 10, side with loyalty if at all possible. You’ll appreciate it when you’re older.

Comments
  1. Cliff Lazar says:

Whats the word on the street with the non-Flint schools?

Which player is Goodrich going to get this year? The last 3 years they had Big 9 guys transfer for only their senior year. I’m sure there is at least 1 for this year.

What was their good excuse to leave Flushing, Davison, or Grand Blanc? The computer monitors weren’t big enough? The overhead projectors weren’t in HD? They didn’t get enough rest during the game?

2. Cliff Lazar says:

I liked the article though. Its a good heads-up for what to look for when you go to watch shoot-outs and tournaments this summer.

Its just a joke when these suburb kids who are starters on decent teams and students at decent schools leave their hometowns.

Your point about loyalty was well-put too.

3. jblack says:

I can understand students/players going from one city school or suburb school to another, but I don’t understand how Flint players are allowed to play on teams in Saginaw, unless the family moves to that city. Can someone explain this to me?

4. Flinthooper24 says:

Add one more- shaq smith to Saginaw…. Seems out there but comes from a reliable source

5. Ty says:

What’s up with all these transfers? The Boose guy from Buctown that you mentioned should be a prime example of the reason not to transfer. He went to Saginaw and played football and then ended up being ruled ineligible for football because he lived in the Arthur Hill district, then he didn’t even start on the basketball team. He went from a Class C powerhouse, where he was the man to a Class A powerhouse, where he had to come off the bench. I understand that he is going to Wayne St., but he probably could have accomplished that a Flint Beecher?

In essence, these guys should enjoy high school and stop trying to transfer thinking that the “grass will be greener on the other side”. Just think if Beecher would have had Boose and Hawkins? Gray made it to MSU out of Buctown, so I don’t see why kids are so quick to transfer.

6. JT says:

You still missing one person Richie Lewis from Flint Northern i hear he was going to Beecher to play along with Monte Morris for the next 3 years. How true is this

7. avery says:

Dang marcellus just about all yer players are leaving lol

8. Marcellus Miller says:

Truthfully, if you ask anyone, I really don’t worry about who leaves or stays. I only want players who want to be there. If you don’t, go…

• muthguy1 says:

Marcellus,

Do you frequently find that there is a player who has not gotten a chance that can step up when someone leaves? (Obviously not if the guy is LeBron James or something like that)

But most of the time, do you have someone almost as talented (who may appreciate the opportunity more?)

• Marcellus Miller says:

Absoluetely correct…often a young man develops over time, but is pushed to the back by the incumbent. When people leave (see Grand Blanc), others are waiting in the wings to step up. On average, the difference between most high school players is not that great. So, with a summer of dedicated work, often a role player can become a key contributor.

9. Marcus says:

Goodrich i hear is recieving seniors Joe gagnon from Mt.Morris…and other Gac transfers…Like romel Morgan from lakeville also

10. Richie Lewis says:

Man I don’t know why people keep saying I’m bout to go somewhere else. I’m gone be at Northern for the next three years. BIG RED all day baby

11. lmao says:

burnett 2 NW sounds good…

12. Antuan Burks says:

I think everybody need 2 stay where they are because u aint gone get no better going 2 a different school trying 2 adjust 2 how other teams play……

13. muthguy1 says:

Marcellus,

Thank you for your response to my question!

14. G.Cosey 1 says:

Man fuck high school im out this bitch

15. G.Cosey 1 says:

Oh yeah cellus yu a bitch idgaf

16. G.Cosey 1 says:

YEAH thats what you better say hoe

17. Williford says:

Cosey, with an attitude like that, I find it hard to believe that you’ll be successful in any route you take in life. If you feel that way, keep it to yourself.

I should have said this earlier. That commenter is NOT Glenn Cosey. I think I know who it is, but it’s not Glenn.

• Skywalker says:

why not delete the post? It certainly gives the impression it is Glenn, not to mention the F%*@# word. 90% of what is talked about on here is about high school kids. I think we could agree we do not endorse saying F%*@# high school. There is not a very bright future with that kind of attitude.

18. Williford says:

I’m aware that it isn’t Glenn Cosey, he’s not dumb enough to do that. I was just saying ‘Cosey’ to refer to the person with that name on here.