This weekend: The Anatomy of a Program, Coaching Symposium

Posted: June 2, 2010 by Jared Field in College, High School

FLINT, Michigan — Basketnall fans and coaches from across Mid-Michigan and beyond are invited to take part in the first of a series of coaching clinics presented by Proving Grounds Basketball Academy, The Cage Fieldhouse and Great Lakes Hoops.

“The Anatomy of a Program” Coaching Symposium will be held from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. this Saturday at the Cage Field House in Swartz Creek, Michigan — just off I-69 and Morrish Road. The symposium is open to the public, but tailored for basketball coaches at any level — elementary, middle/high school, AAU, etc.

This year’s keynote speaker is Mott Community College’s hall of fame head coach, Steve Schmidt. One of the most prolific active coaches at any level, Schmidt has put his thumbprint on every facet of Mott’s nationally-respected program. During his 19 seasons at Mott, Schmidt has won a mind-boggling 81 percent of his 623 games. He’s won three national championships, been named national coach of the year three times and is a member of two halls of fame.

He will be joined by three of the top young coaches in the Mid-Michigan: Mike Williams (Flint Beecher), Chris Belcher (Grand Blanc) and Jeremy Trent (Swartz Creek). The trio will each speak on their particular program-building expertise before a session designed for interaction and networking.

Schedule

KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Steve Schmidt, Hall of Fame coach at Mott Community College

“The Anatomy of a Program” (30-40 minutes)

Coach Schmidt will lead the group through his 19 seasons building Mott into one of the most prolific basketball programs at any level.

SPEAKER: Jeremy Trent, Swartz Creek High School

“Drilling for Intensity: Programming practice” (30-40 minutes)

Coach Trent will identify the intensity essentials and exhibit the “run and jump” defense.

SPEAKER: Mike Williams, Flint Beecher High School

“Starting with Stopping: Programming Defense” (30-40 minutes)

Coach Williams will demonstrate how he’s built a championship program with defense and unmatched effort.

SPEAKER: Chris Belcher, Grand Blanc High School

“Forging a Family: Programming Environment” (30-40 minutes)

Coach Belcher will preach the merits of building a winning environment. He will also showcase the best practices of a structured offense.

Open forum/networking: Time for questions, comments, etc. (up to 1 hour)

Cost: $20

Amenities: Pizza and refreshments for lunch

Duration: 10 a.m – 2 p.m.

Comments
  1. It Ain't Right says:

dang….I was hoping Coach Trent was gonna talk about how to recruit the high school athlete.

Oh yeah. Burton Bentley and Swartz Creek are virtual clearinghouses for recruited players. Ridiculous comment.

• It Ain't Right says:

not really Bentley was Carmen’s JV team during his tenure there

Name names please. I’m pretty tired of people who make statements without backing them up.

Let me give you an example. If I were to say that Flint Powers brings in a lot of transfers, I’d follow it up with something like this:

“They’ve had transfers like Shane Moreland, Tyler Moreland, Javontae Hawkins, Pierre Brackett, Rodney Anderson and more.”

I’d love to know the names of the transfers Trent won a share of the FML title with earlier this year. I’ll just wait for you to supply them.

2. Ty says:

Wow! Powers gets transfer like that? Interesting….

3. It Ain't Right says:

I didn’t say he had any transfers this year with Swartz Creek, and Powers does recruit and I’m not really a big fan of them. I never said he wasn’t a good coach either, cuz i actually think he is a pretty good coach.

• SC Fan says:

It ain’t right, Trent’s not just a pretty good coach, but he’s a great teacher of the game and a good role model for your son. He’s going to win a lot in Creek with Creek kids because he teaches kids how to play the right way.

• It Ain't Right says:

I’m glad your happy with him… i just don’t go straight to my knees when his name is brought up like the rest of the people on this site

You took a cheap shot at a good coach and now you’re backing off it. I hope you have something to say when it comes time to have an opinion about coaches who actually do illegally recruit. Bentley? Swartz Creek? That’s hilarious. You couldn’t get a big-name recruit to those schools for love or money.

• It Ain't Right says:

i wasn’t backing down from my comments… i just wanna know how to make Carmen a pipeline for future recruits….

4. Marcellus Miller says:

Who did he recruit at Bentley? Lau’Ren Jones?

• P. Hayes says:

How did I miss this craziness? Carman a pipeline for Bentley?

Jones is the only C-A transfer I know of who played at Bentley, and if I’m not mistaken, he was at C-A around a period when they had a backcourt that included Lee (now a D-I college player), Arkwright (now a D-I college player), Stallings (now a D-II college player) and Sharp (currently playing at an above average JUCO), not to mention Cosey waiting in the wings on JV.

It’s really no one’s business (outside of the individual and his family) why he or any other kid chooses to transfer, but it’s certainly easy to see that it was going to be difficult for any guard to crack that rotation.

• Marcellus Miller says:

Pat,

Just so you know and everyone else as well, Lau’Ren went to Bentley because I saw his potential and knew he would not play (or maybe not even make the team) at CA that year because of the guards you mentioned above. Jones was playing for me in the summer and I encouraged the move. I knew he could be successful at Bentley, but Coach Trent did not recruit him. Just thought I would shed some light on the subject.

Crack the rotation? He didn’t even make the team. How’s that for a big-time transfer….?

5. Dave Lester says:

Hat’s off to Jared Field for putting together a great coaching clinic. Coaches Trent, Williams, Belcher and Schmidt were great. These guys have great basketball minds. I’m looking forward to adding some drills, along with some offensive and defensive tidbits i picked up yesterday. Alot of coaches missed out on a great clinic. Thanks again.

Dave Lester – Kingston Varsity Girl’s Basketball Coach.

• HS Hoops says:

Yep, all the coaches were very impressive. It’s a shame more Flint-area coaches didn’t make it out. Only staffs from the Flint-area represented were GB, Beecher, and Creek.

Yeah. It’s what I expected. One reason we’re in a major lull with respect to coaching in the Flint area is summed up in their collective absence.

Their are a lot of egos out there. Apparently many of our coaches, most of whom don’t win championships, think they can’t learn anything from Steve Schmidt — a guy who wins championships before breakfast.

• Marcellus Miller says:

and Northern…

6. Marcellus Miller says:

Very good program Jared…nice job.

• wait a minute says:

It was good. Three very good young coaches. I would have like to seen Flint area coaches who have been around a while and been successful. Barns at Goodrich, Robinson at Hamady, Rory Mattar, Tony Holiday, McLahlan from Davison, Grover Kirkland, Stan Gooch, Dave Gingsberg. Get a few of those guys and attendance would go up.

Dick MacLachlan? Good coach, but I’m not sure he would fit the theme of the program.

Coach Schmidt is the most successful coach in Flint’s history. I thought it was a nice mix to have arguably the three best young coaches with Schmidt, who is still in his 40s actually — I guess that’s not old.

Most of the coaches you mentioned are not active, which was kind of important to me. All in all, I’d put the quality of those four guys up against anyone in the state. Each is an expert in one facet of the game, and I think that’s important. Basketball is constantly evolving, and these guys are hip to what’s new. Heck, Coach Belcher is practically a basketball Ph.D.

Coach Williams’ attention to detail on the defensive end is flat scary. I think he will coach in college one day.

As for attendance, I think having active coaches does hurt attendance. This notion that you can’t learn from your peers, or that it’s somehow beneath you, has contributed to the pretty poor state of coaching in our area.

Compare 2010 to years past. We had great, not good, coaches in our area — Kirkland, Gooch, Lacy, Mandeville, Mattar, Holiday, etc. I think Williams, Belcher and Trent can help bring us back.

7. Marcellus Miller says:

Would have been very hard to get Ginsberg from Traverse City down for that. As for Gooch and Kirkland, they were great in the past but the game had bypassed them by the time they retired. Not real familiar with McLahlan, but I am familiar with Davison…not sure how he fits in this group.

• It Ain't Right says:

Marcellus what are you talking about? the game never got to you, you look clueless out there. You should just stick to being a reporter and stop coaching you’ll be a lot happier as a person.

Ever since PJR got blacklisted, It Ain’t Right has taken the mantle of most ignorant commenter on this board. Look back at your comments, sir. You never back anything up.

• Marcellus Miller says:

Lol…well, clueless I guess must be a good thing since I have been offered positions at several other schools and AAU sponsored-endorsed programs, oh yeah, and a collegiate assistant’s post over the past few years. But you know what, it has nothing to do with me really, which is why I VOLUNTEER to do it every year. It is about the kids and them getting the most out of their talent, while teaching them how to be men (or women on the female side). So, I will take whatever criticism I get, legit or not, for their sakes, simple as that. Thank you for taking the time out to notice though. And I am very happy by the way.

• muthguy1 says:

Unless you see practices, it’s hard to know how you could evaluate an assistant coach.

Just from Marcellus’s posts here, you can certainly see that he has the right motivations and cares about his players.

• P. Hayes says:

It Ain’t Right:

Not that Marcellus needs anyone to defend him, but he’s at virtually any basketball related event there is, he works at his craft, he cares about his kids and he obviously has passion for what he does. What’s not to like?

Why the anonymity? Strong feelings are fine. Why not be a man and put a name on your comments though if you are going to attack someone? What you’ve done on this thread, now anonymously attacking two coaches with zero relevant facts to back up the statements you make, is beyond cowardly.