Izz he or izn’t he: Will MSU’s golden boy leave for the NBA?

Posted: June 7, 2010 by Jared Field in College

I don’t think he’ll go, but there is speculation that MSU head basketball coach Tom Izzo has been offered the head coaching job in Cleveland. Here’s the story from USA Today:

Michigan State coach Tom Izzo keeps telling the NBA he is not interested and he keeps getting job offers.

Bob Finnan of the News-Herald, citing a league source, is reporting that the Cleveland Cavaliers have offered Izzo the job and that owner Dan Gilbert has been a driving force to get Izzo.

Gilbert is a graduate of Michigan State.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: I don’t think Izzo would leave MSU, mostly because I believe he knows his limitations. Tom Izzo might be the best college basketball coach in the country, but he’s not cut out for the NBA. Can you imagine Izzo popping up off the bench to bawl out Lebron James like he does Draymond Green or Durrell Summers? Not going to happen.

Izzo has a mind for the NBA, but not the disposition.

Comments
  1. Dantana says:

I cant picture Izzo leaving MSU for the Cavs. Too many uncertainties surrounding Cleveland. If Lebron leaves, Izzo would be left with a bottom feeder. If he stays, Izzo has to deal with LBJ and his entourage running the show. Add to the fact that his current Sparty team is LOADED and primed for another long run next year, I just dont see it.

But, crazier things have happened…….money talks!

I agree…I think it would be a major blow to his legacy. I don’t think he can get Cleveland a championship.

I lost a lot of respect for Lebron in this year’s playoffs.

• Marcellus Miller says:

First of all, Izzo is NOT a NBA coach, not even close. Secondly, I am not sure whether we can lose respect for Lebron this year, or just merely be disappointed in his demeanor and play in the last series. He is not the killer that Kobe is yet, that’s for sure. But always remember that there is more to the story…

• sam joubran says:

soooo….

2. P. Hayes says:

Something to remember about LeBron: He absolutely has nowhere near the drive to win that Jordan had or Kobe has or even Duncan has, yet LeBron still obliterates Bryant by every advanced statistical measure. He’s already the best player in the league, and it’s very likely we haven’t even seen his next gear yet.

Now, he might just be a guy who loves being a star and never develops that next gear, but that’s a whole other matter.

And anyone who thinks Izzo would be a good NBA coach in any situation is crazy.

• ddawkins says:

Its a team game, thats why LeBron hasnt won a title. Kobe has had Shaq, Gasol and even Artest, Jordan had Scottie Pippen who in that era might have been the second or third best player in the league, and Duncan has also had a great team around him. To say that LeBron doesnt have the drive to win is stupid. LeBron and the whole cavalier organization have the drive to win but they havent been able to get the right players around him. Picture LeBron on the Lakers right now instead of Kobe. It could be a possible 82-0 season lol.

3. waddmanjm says:

6 million reasons to leave. I don’t believe he has the temperament for the professional game. LeBron’s circle flying to away games on the team plane. Cleveland is shopping Mo Williams and Mr James.(Delonte West) LeBron is a good player during the regular season but has not found out how to play in the playoffs. A good defensive team will force the ball out of LeBron’s hands. The supporting cast needs a ton of help. Does Izzo want to deal with all the childish egos, and drama?

4. SBell says:

Well, he had to deal with back-stabbing potheads this season, so every team has distracting players.

Izzo would fair all right x-and-o’s-wise because he runs so many sets instead of motion and knows how to defend the pick-and-roll.

• Skywalker says:

Let’s say you make 50K a year and someone offers you 100K. As loyal as you may be to your current employer and whether people questioned whether you could handle the new job, chances are you are going to give it a shot. If he is making 3 mill a year now and can double it to 6 mill who can really blame him? Now I agree that he may not be cutout for the NBA, though I think MSU alum. Dan Gilbert has thrown so much $$$$ at him that chances are he is leaving MSU.

The difference between $50,000 and $100,000 is life changing. $3 million to $6, not so much.

• Skywalker says:

Doubling your income is doubling your income. If your accustomed to 3 million a year and now have 6 million coming in, that is a life changer. You have to look at someones standard of living and what their used to making. I don’t believe Izzo was out looking for a job, though my point is everyone has a price. I think Gilbert is making an offer he can’t refuse.

5. SBell says:

Yeah, if you make 100K, you actually have to pay taxes!