Is Bay City Western’s Matt Costello Michigan’s best?

Posted: March 17, 2011 by Jared Field in High School

I’ve seen the question posed before, but I think now might be the most opportune time to get a definitive answer. After a huge win over Saginaw High and last night’s win over Clarkston, Western is heading to the state quarterfinals. For them, it’s not just the quarterfinals, though. It’s relevance.

Think about it. How long has it been since Bay City Western mattered in high school basketball? They matter now largely because of a junior who is one of the most skilled big men I’ve seen at the high school level.

Wednesday night, Matt Costello tallied a triple-double with an astounding 12 blocks to lead his team to the regional title over Clarkston. Costello has had an amazing season, and he’s certainly everyone’s MVP. But is he the state’s best player, regardless of class?

Costello can’t get to MSU fast enough.

Comments
  1. Ty says:

Actually, this guy maybe. I have not seen too many of the guys in person, but from the video; Michigan St. could use this guy right now. Maybe Izzo can get Costello to graduate early and join next years recruiting class because I am tired of seeing Michigan St. get out rebounded and play no defense.

I remember watching Paul Davis in high school and thinking he was one of the more skilled bigs I’d seen. Costello is right in that conversation.

3. WEH says:

I don’t know if he is the best or not, but I’ve yet to see a better big play on him this season. Let alone feel like there was a better player in the gym, and that goes for Tommie McCune who didn’t do very much against him at all.

Does anybody on the board know anything about OLSM? Because I really do not know anything about them, and would kind of like to get an idea of what BCW is up against.

P.S.- thank you for writing this

• Ty says:

OSLM has a good football player that is leading the basketball team in scoring. His name is Allen Robinson.

• hoopsguru says:

I would say he is the best BUT – (and I am seriously not taking anything away from him when I say this) – his team is loaded with talent also. They have two 6-9 guys and a very competent point guard in Tyler Ellis – that in itself is pretty special at the high school level – but then they also have some very good shooters and a wing guy at about 6’5″ . The PG Ellis will probably play D3 or NAIA ball somewhere and the other 6-9 guy is headed to SVSU. I’ve also heard that at least another starter will play in college at some level – sorry I am not up on all of their names. I believe the shortest starter is the PG at 6-2. What I am trying to say is that teams cannot just focus 100% on Matt Costello – because they have other very competent weapons that need to be accounted for on the court at all times. That fact alone really helps Matt out. The core of the team have played together since 4th grade also which really helps. Coach is young and seems energetic and the team appears to have bought into what he is selling.
        If Matt were the only college caliber guy on his team and if they had no PG to speak of and if he was 8 inches taller than the rest of the starters – likely we would not be having this discussion.

There’s athletes and then there’s skilled high school big men. Costello is both. It helps having another big on the frontline as well though. Having BCW on this run is really a positive for the SVL in the long run.

4. Marcellus Miller says:

My opinion after coaching against him three times, Amir Williams 3 times, Tommie McCune 4 times, and Jordan Hare 3 times, Costello is the best and most polished of them all. Just an opinion…