FLINT, Michigan — CoachStat.net recently released a ranking of the nation’s best basketball coaches at the Junior College level and, to no one’s surprise, Steve Schmidt is near the top of the list.
A national panel of media, scouts and coaches voted Mott Community College’s longtime head coach as the fourth-best in the nation.
What Schmidt has done at Mott is nothing short of remarkable. Winning an incredible 82% of his games over 24 years is unheard of, winning more than 25 games for 19 straight years is mind boggling! Schmidt IS Mott basketball and not only is he recognized by several Halls of Fame, he has the very gym that he coaches in named after him.
The full list:
1. Jared Phay, Southern Idaho
2. Steve DeMeo, Northwest Florida St.
3. Steve Eck, Hutchinson, KS
4. Steve Schmidt, Mott, MI
5. Gene Bess, Three Rivers, MO
6. Jay Herkelman, Coffeyville, KS
7. Craig Doty, Rock Valley, IL
8. John Meeks, Wallace St.-Hanceville, AL
9. Drew Kelly, Harcum, PA
10. Andy Ground, Saddleback, CA
11. Kyle Smith Peters, John A. Logan, IL
12. Kris Baumann, Trinity Valley, TX
13. Chuck Moore, Richard Bland, VA
14. Jeremy Shulman, Eastern Florida
15. Cory Symons, North Idaho
16. Cory Rehringer, Williston St., ND
17. Andy Labagh, CC San Francisco, CA
18. Patrick Smith, Moberly, MO
19. Craig McMillan, Santa Rose, CA
20. Bryan Zollinger, Seward County, KS
21. Dan Russell, Casper, WY
22. Todd Franklin, Vincennes, IN
23. Todd Phillips, Salt Lake, UT
24. B.J. McGinn, Des Moines, IA
25. Hank Plona, Indian Hills, IA