Flint Powers’ JaVontae Hawkins lands offer from UM

Posted: February 20, 2010 by Jared Field in High School
JaVontae Hawkins, Flint Powers

Flint Powers sophomore shooting guard prospect JaVontae Hawkins picked up an offer this week from John Belein and the University of Michigan.

Belein saw Hawkins two weeks ago at Delta College as Flint Powers knocked off Saginaw High in the tournament dedicated to the late Dorian “Styles” Dawkins.

Hawkins, a transfer from Flint Beecher, has been on the recruiting radar for a couple years. Since gaining eligibility at Powers, however, Hawkins has garnered interest from some big schools including Michigan State, Michigan and Wisconsin.

Hawkins is 6-4, athletic and a hard worker. There are many, I count myself as one of them, who believe that Hawkins has the potential to be the best player ever at Flint Powers.

The first time I saw Hawkins he was in the 8th grade. He was so much better than everyone on the floor it was laughable. By the time he’s a senior, I expect that scenario to play out once again.

— Jared Field

Comments
  1. Gavin Raath says:

Pretty obvious that Izzo was at Davison last night to check him out and probably not PLP as everyone assumed. Hawkins is already a huge upgrade over Rodney Anderson. A WAY better low post scorer and probably better defender, but can play outside just as easily. Can’t wait to see this kid next year when he can outside more.

2. Kelly Fields says:

Congratulations to Mr. Hawkins! I love seeing young people succeed!

3. […] importantly, the sophomore guard is claiming that Michigan has offered him a scholarship. It’s pretty early for 2012 recruits but Michigan so whether this offer is […]

4. A good player with potential to be great! More importantly, he has a great head on his shoulders, which will keep him hungry and humble.

5. FlintStones says:

exactly the reason that high caliber players transfer to Flint Powers. They get exposure, play great competition statewide, and are well-coached. Very good decision for Hawkins to come to Powers. I expect many more offers to come in the near future.

6. Well, that’s true and not true at the same time. Until recently (Herzog, LLP), Powers was not a place to go to get a D-1 scholarship. The coaching is debatable in my mind as far as preparation for the next level is concerned until more proof is shown from those who make it. That said, coming to Powers is NOT why he got that offer, trust me.

Yeah. Totally agree.

He would be getting offers regardless. In fact, he might have a few more had he played the first half of the season.

• FlintStones says:

I agree that Powers was not the reason he got the D1 offer, but you can’t say for certain that a player such as Rodney Anderson would have landed a scholarship at Saginaw Valley if he stayed at Flushing. And as far as coaching, Powers beat Country Day in the quarterfinals last year and a tough Saginaw team this year ranked #1 preseason and Tim Herman has made it to the Breslin 2 out of 3 years. You can say that Powers lost to Flint Northern at home, but that was an anomaly. And Powers runs a system on offense and preaches tough defense whereas a school like Beecher is more like street ball. So TRUST me, making the move to Powers was the right move for J-Hawk. And for those players who haven’t succeeded at D1 level, maybe they reached their maximum potential in highschool. LLP surely didn’t shoot 10% at Powers like he is at UofM….

If you compare Powers to Beecher over the last 3-4 seasons defensively, it’s Buctown all the way. Powers is decidedly not known for defense. You know that.

• FlintStones says:

…or you can go back to “The Best Area Coaches” article and read a first-hand account from J-Hawk on the comparison in coaches, then you can make that sort of assumption….

Or I could just base it on what I’ve seen with my own eyes. Buctown has won games for years by getting after it defensively. Powers wins games by shooting teams out of the gym.

• Really? Powers was their maximum? Wow…and defense? Seriously? They do preach cheap shots though. Hawk has his priorities in order and that is why he is excelling. Further, he has good leadership at home and that is why he respects his authority figure in his coach and defended him as well. Sounds like a good kid…

7. FlintStones says:

preach cheap shots?? Wow, you must really have something against the Powers program Marcellus….

I’d stop short of saying any coach preaches cheap shots.

The O’Brien brothers are rough and tumble to say the least, but I don’t know if I would characterize them as “cheap” and “dirty” overall.

• Marcellus Miller says:

Actually, I have nothing against Powers as a whole and “preaching” cheap shots was more of a tongue-in-cheek reference to my commentary of their game against Northern. I do not think the coaches literally “preach” it. However, I do believe they allow some excess to go on as more enablers.

8. It Ain't right says:

The Buc’s have had better defensive players

9. WHATT says:

Did he really get an offer or are they just recruiting him? He claims he has an offer? He better verify that!

10. Kim Thompson says:

Powers, is and has always been a good school. It was able to compete with the Saginaw valley when the valley was really strong in football and basketball . I’m glad that the young man is getting a good education, and has a strong family foundation. It dosen’t matter where he goes to college , as long as he goes and graduates. Let’s keep it in perspective. And if he is the best player ever at powers great. There have been some great one’s. Including this one