Flint basketball great Trent Tucker talks University of Minnesota sports

Posted: October 11, 2010 by Patrick Hayes in College, Professional

Because he’s settled in Minnesota where he has a very active charity, Trent Tucker’s name is sometimes overlooked in all of the “Who’s the greatest basketball player from Flint?” conversations that go on.

But Tucker’s resumé stacks up favorably compared to big NBA names from the city like Glen Rice, Jeff Grayer, Morris Peterson and Charlie Bell. Tucker won a title with the Chicago Bulls, he played with Michael Jordan and he’s still one of the best three-point specialists the league has ever seen.

Play4Brew, a University of Minnesota football blog, recently caught up with Tucker for a quick interview. I can’t embed the video here, but check out the link. Tucker, a Minnesota alum, talks about the team’s football rivalries as well as what it was like to be a member of the basketball team.

Here’s the link to Tucker’s foundation. He has major events all the time, including a recent charity poker tournament that he got Jordan to attend and play in.

— Patrick Hayes

Comments
  1. Hoopsguru says:

What High School did he attend and what year did he graduate from High School?

2. Flint Northwestern. Graduated in ’78 or so I believe.

3. Marcellus Miller says:

Word is from the old-schoolers is that his brother was even better.

• lmao says:

i heard the samething.Me and a friend was having a conversation the other day about the top 10 bb players from flint of all time.Mr. Miller i would like to know your top 10…

Everyone seems to think that Eric Turner was the best player ever in Flint.

• Marcellus Miller says:

The top 10 is nearly impossible because I will inevitably leave out someone that I never really saw play….however, I will try and keep it to just high school accomplishment.

1. Eric Turner
        2. Glen Rice
        3. Mark Harris
        4. Jeff Grayer
        5. Mateen Cleaves
        6. Kelvin Torbert
        7. Marty Embry
        8. Charlie Bell
        9. Anthony Pendelton
        10. Darryl Johnson

Not on list, but probably should be: Anthony Buford, Cory Hightower, Barry Stevens, Terry Furlow, Trent Tucker, Roy Marble, Napoloen Petteway, Max Scott, Dequan Bacon (based on potential due to his tragic death)

Had they gone to class and been eligible all four years:
        Donald Fisher, Eddie Robinson, Mario Duncan, Jody Allen

• Marcellus Miller says:

Newer School that had to be considered, but missed out due to watered down competition:
        Anthony Crater, Jaquan Hart, Desmon Farmer, Nick Stapleton, Olu Famutimi, Corey Santee

• Let me also mention Naje McCune as one who was honorable mention

4. No Mo Pete?

And I’m obviously not old enough to know myself, but I’ve heard that Furlow was a good but not great high school player who got much better in college. He also was coming off a really good NBA season when he was killed in a car crash.

• Mo Pete was not one of the high school all time greats…if I am not mistaken he even red-shirted at MSU (which speaks only to high school “stardom”). His success largely came after high school. He would be in my class of “Who knew they would be that good?” Which would also include George Miller, Dionte Harvey, Marcus Skinner, Takais Brown, and a whole lot more.

Add Kevin Tiggs to that list. He played less than one season in high school and then became a JUCO national player of the year.

• lmao says:

CHARLIE BELL GOT TO BE TOP 3. HE IS THE ALL TIME LEADING SCORER IN FLINT HISTORY..

• Marcellus Miller says:

Yeah, K Tiggs and even Zach McGee (4 Big 9 titles, 2 state final appearances) could be there as well. An argument could be made for Charlie, but if you ask anyone who has seen both the 80’s and the 90’s, they all to a man say that Bell would not have been close to that record had he played with a good team, or against high quality comp.

5. SBell says:

Mo Pete had a good senior year, but he was a much better college than hs player.

6. Flitetime says:

I know that you guys are a little young, so I thought I would chime in with a few players that you may have not heard of or seen play, but believe this, they deserve to be on the list!
    Joel Thompson, James Smith, Bryan Rison, Eddie Simmons, Craig Tucker, Keith Gray, Lou Cappo, Ricky Baskins and Joel Ragland just to name a few.

• I appreciate the help!

I had remembered Keith Gray from the stories I have heard about him and meant to include him. Also, in my just missed it list should have been Terrance Greene (sorry about that omission). He was a beast in high school. I have also heard many stories about Craig Tucker as well and I know Joel Ragland from his older years and he could still play! I also missed Andre “Moon” Wiley.

7. Unsung heroes:
    Ellery and Jerry Morgan, Judson Anderson (potential lost with gunshot to leg), Corey Blake (terrible knee injury), Anthony Mull, Marcus and Marques Johnson, Leon Derricks, Janon Cole, Raynell (sp.) Brown, Jarvis Mitchell, etc.

8. Marcellus Miller says:

Yes, these discussions spur discussion between generations about who was better when, but I love that!